THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ballistic coeffient for 180gr. 30 cal premium bullet?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ballistic coeffient for 180gr. 30 cal premium bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone know which has the best bc for a 300 win mag 180gr bullet? a frame, trophy bonded bear claw, etc.? thanks a lot jeff

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't trust most of the data I read.

I just pick a bullet and work on getting it to shoot the first shot from a cold barrel into the same place. Then I sight it in at 200 yards a little high. From there you could test it at longer range.

Be careful that the second shot is not with a dented nose.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the A-Frame is higher than the TBBC, but the Scirocco is far above both, the BC was measured at .576 on my Oehler 43 with the Nosler BT at .520 as well. Nosler has a new white tipped 200gr BT comming out that has a bonded core too. Hope that helps.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks brent

i used the scirroco in africa this year and didnt hold up to well at close range with the 300 win mag on large critters (gemsbok) so i was looking for a tougher bullet. i dont think id want to poke a bear or moose with it. my bro uses a frames religiously but i think im getting partial with the tbbc but didnt know bc for either thanks for the input though (we finally got snow!!!!!!)

Posts: 111 | Location: eagle river ak | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snow finally! Summer last week, winter this week! [Big Grin]

I used a 400gr A-Frame on a moose out of my 416wby and was pretty impressed, 365gr retained and perfect mushroom.
Used a 400gr XLC on one too, but the Barnes I've found to be overrated in the BC department with all my tests using the Oehler 43 and acoustic target.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think im gonna try some a frames. i just got back from the range and the tbbc shot 1.5 at best. ive tried tons of barnes combos and i just cant get them to shoot. that must have been inpressive hitting a moose with that weatherby!!
did it drop right away?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was at ten yards and I took the shot right behind the ear in the spine, wasn't worth mentioning, never saw the bullet after that. The lights were just turned out, I think that's what he'd say too.

All the 338wm with 250gr X bullets we've used in the past killed fast too, I shot one that got back up and my brother put him right back down with a second shot. That was the only one that never went down with the X.

I got lucky maybe with my Ruger 338wm, it shot hot 250gr X loads at under .75" all day. I had it loaded over 3000fps back then, gave up the flirting with disaster for a Ruger in 416wby. Almost the same trajectory with more dia. and energy ta boot. Beautiful rifle and just as accurate too. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, the only TBBCs I ever shot were out of that 338wm just to get the Federal High Energy brass to load my hot Barnes X loads in. They shot OK, around an inch and a half or so. I couldn't even get 2800 from the regular brass with the same load but got 3050 with the HE brass, so I just bought it for the HE brass. Back then RAL Sporting Goods had it for about 40 bucks a box.