New
Find
Notify
Tools

Set Trigger Operation?
 Login/Join

<Infidel>
posted
I have never used a rifle with a set trigger, although I have seen single-barrel rifles with double set triggers where the front trigger always fires the rifle. If pulled first, it fires at a few pounds; if the rear trigger is pulled first to "set" the front trigger, then the front trigger fires with a few ounces pull.

I have seen descriptions of double-barrel rifles with "single-set" triggers, where the front trigger always fires the right barrel, the rear trigger always fires the left barrel. The front trigger normally fires with a few pounds pull, but if it is pushed forward first to "set" it, then it breaks at a few ounces.

Question:

1. Have I got the operation about right?

And the Big Question:

2. If the game spooks and runs off after the trigger is set, how do you UNset it? (either type, or both)

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Infidel (edited 02-27-2002).]

<jthessen>
posted
Break it open, or lift the bolt, is what I have seen. I am sure someone with more experience (i have only seen the cz 550 with this single set trigger - I removed mine as soon as i could) will be able to confirm this.
There are probably more ways to do it.

All the best

Jens

one of us
posted Hide Post
This sounds a bit risky and you must of course be careful where you point the rifle but this is the simple operation on the CZ:

- Engage safety or, if on safe, unsafe and engage again
- Pull trigger !

The feel of the trigger is very "slippery" when performing this.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
It�s easy: lift the bolt handle and pull the trigger. On the double rifle you engage the safety, break it and pull the trigger.

The set trigger is a "trap" construction: it�s a strong spring, which kicks the sear.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Infidel>
posted
Thank you. I guessed that opening the action would do it, but I don't even know anyone with a rifle with a set trigger.

Considering their purpose and utility, it seems odd that set triggers have been unpopular in the US since the Sharps buffalo rifle era.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about set triggers or double set triggers..two different types..

I have never seen a double rifle with set triggers, I have seen double rifles with an articulated front trigger.

I'm saying they do not exist, I'm saying that I have not seen one..I would very much like to see one and take it apart and study it....

I like set triggers and double set triggers for off hand shooting and particularly for running shots at big game.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Infidel>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Are we talking about set triggers or double set triggers..two different types..

I have never seen a double rifle with set triggers, I have seen double rifles with an articulated front trigger.

I have not seen one, either, but I have seen descriptions, and my question arose out of a conversation about possibly buying one. The rifle we, meaning I and the other person, were discussing was a Perugini-Visini in 9.3x74R, but the person with whom I was talking said that the same type of front set trigger was common on Heym, Krieghoff, and other small and medium bore double rifles used in Europe.

As it was described to me, the two triggers work as normal if you just pull them, but if you push the front trigger forward, it "set"s and then it lets off with a very light pull, exactly as when you first pull the rear trigger in a double set trigger on a single-barrel rifle, which is the only type that I have actually seen.

The rationale was that the first shot could often involve relaxed game, that is, game that has not been spooked or alerted to the hunter's presence, and the set trigger allowed more accurate shooting. The second (rear) trigger did not have the feature because followup shots seldom involve relaxed game unaware of the shooter.

This was not a conversation about big bore doubles, but about 7x65R and especially about a particular 9.3x74R.

I have seen and used double shotguns and I have seen big bore double rifles that have hinged (articulated) front triggers that hinge forward if they hit your trigger finger during recoil. The front set trigger is not hinged in that way, as I understand it.

I'm asking because I'm out of my experience here, and I don't have the rifle in hand to look at. I probably can't afford it anyhow....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some experience with set triggers. I can live with them, but for my "working" guns I use a regular, adjusted trigger.

Merkels double rifles supposedly have a "set" front trigger. This disables doing a close in shot with the left barrel first ( to get some more rounds through the left barrel ).

The hinged front trigger on a big bore is a good idea to prevent injury, and effectively disables any possibility of a set trigger, which is not necessary on a big bore anyway.

On combo guns you usually have a set trigger for the ( front ) rifle barrel trigger. As most of these triggers are no good unset, you have to shoot with them. This is usually called a "French" set trigger ( "Stecher" ).

Elder 98�s usually had a double set trigger ( German type - "Deutscher Stecher" ). This is a dangerous gadget. Usually you pull the rear trigger to set, then the front trigger to fire. Caution! If you mentally have a lapsus and decide to press the rear trigger forward, the gun will fire!!!

I would very much advise anybody to unset by the safety method! Barrel pointed in the correct direction of course. Handling with the bolt handle on a set trigger is unsafe! There are set triggers, though, that are really unset so ( Sauer 90? ). Also, as a safety device some set triggers are automatically unset, if the bolt is lifted ( Blaser? ). I am quite sure there are some rifle makes, that will stay cocked if you open the bolt!! Close with force and recon what will happen ...

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I'm saying they do not exist, I'm saying that I have not seen one..I would very much like to see one and take it apart and study it....

Ray,

at least Merkel�s big game double rifles have set triggers: "Double trigger with forward-set trigger in the front trigger respectively double trigger" (Quote from http://www.merkel-waffen.de/hunting_guns/safari/biggame2.htm )

I think your opinion is quite rational, as you cannot see the difference between usual triggers and this type of set triggers.

Best regards,

Fritz

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 02-28-2002).]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I had a Mannlicher with double set triggers. I found them a pain in the arse.

I inadvertantly head-shot an impala with the trigger set to "hair" when I was expecting a 4 lb pull. Lucky I was going to shot the impala anyway, but I shot it sooner than I intended. It gave me quite a shock.

Very popular in Germany.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been playing with double set triggers in one of my 22F Brnos and now my newly finished J.P Sauer 9.3x62 carbine...

It took a little while to get used to them but once you do they are really quite nice and make a running shot much easier...

Contrary to common belief the set trigger was designed for running shots, not stationary shots.

When I learned this, I just had to disprove it and thats not the case at all..they are just the cats meow for running shots. You just put the gun up swing thourgh and touch it, boom a hit...

I suggest to those who, like me, dispelled the double set triggers as more German over-engineering, take another look and spend some time playing with them...Those damned old Krouts in their closet size gunshops making a ball out of a square block with a file, were pretty darn good at this gun stuff.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why would you not like a set trigger?

The CZ trigger gives you a normal, safe trigger, and, if you want a match grade trigger, just push the trigger forward, and pull, very light, and nice.

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<jthessen>
posted
Please disregard my previous statement of AHR selling a Timeney trigger, I thought at the price they indicated, was for a complete trigger assembly.

Socrates.
As the trigger is quite far forward in the tr guard in the normal mode pushing it forward just accentuate my dislike of it.
I guess everyone has their own preferences, and to be perfectly honnest I never gave it a chance. I �ll second Deerdogs second sentence.

All the best
Jens

one of us
posted Hide Post
PEBCAKE
Don't blame the trigger if you don't use it right.

However, your point is well taken...

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote