Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Black Bear Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted
I am scheduled for an Alaska spring black bear hunt in May. I will be using my Ruger Mark II, 7mm Rem Mag rifle. I am however unsure of what will be the "best" load to shoot. Having not hunted bear ever, and certianly having not hunted in Alaska, I am sure I am in for an experience. I believe most of my hunting will be done along the shoreline. The three loads I am considering are:
1. 150 grain Swift Scirocco (Remington)
2. 160 grain Nosler Partition (Federal Premium)
3. 175 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (Federal Premium)

I have read some stuff on the new Barnes XLC bullets, but am unfamiliar with them.

Obviously, my goal is to use the bullet that has the best chance (with proper shot location) of minimizing how far the bear will travel after being shot. We would prefer not to trail it into the high country.

I am not locked in at this time but need to start making progress in bullet selection.

Any insight, help, experience with these loads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW I would recommend the Nosler Partition or the Bearclaw. Black bear can have a large layer of fat and big bones, a "premium" bullet is a good idea.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would go with your choice #3. 175 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (Federal Premium).

Bear hunting is usually not a long range proposition and you are not giving up much trajectory at all with the 175 in the real world. [Wink]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 160 grain Nosler Partition in a 7 mag for a number of years and it worked very well. I have not used the 175 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw but have used several other 175 grain bullets including the 175 grain Nosler Partition and all of them have work very well. I don't think you will go wrong with either. I have used a number of 140 and 150 grain bullets and most of the time they have been good but these lower weight bullets can sometimes have problems.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
You mention Swift, but I would go with the 175 gr A-Frame instead of the Scirocco............That should the bill IMO. Where are you going in AK to do this hunt?

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
BHW,

I, too, would go with the heavier bullets, A-frame or Noslers. Any of the bullets mentioned will do in a black bear, however, there's another bear that patrols the coastal areas and he can soak up a bit more lead if not shot well. Also, that time of the year, you are required to remove all of the meat along with the skull and hide. All of that fresh meat will attract the most discriminating brownie. Whatever you choose, hunt smart and be safe, good luck and enjoy the experience.

Joe

<cohoyo>
posted
I would vote for the heavy bullet too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with the others: 175 Gr. Premium bullet.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
One thing is for sure, the 7mm Mag works for black bears. I've taken 12 with mine, no monsters, but it worked so well that I'd have no hesitation to use it on a 400 lb.+ bear.

I used 160 gr.& 175 gr. bullets only. Nosler Partitions, Partition Golds, Fail Safes, and X bullets. Shots were from 18-150 yards, average of around 75 yards. All but 1 dropped within sight, that one took a 175 gr. X through the lungs at 20 yards, and made it out of sight before I could shoot again. He made it about 25 yards.

Of the 3 loads you're considering, I'd use the 175 gr. TBBC load. It will expand well and penetrate very deep. The only loads I would say would be better, would be the Federal 160 gr. XLC load, and the Winchester 160 gr. Fail Safe load. Only reason is I know they work, and they penetrate very deep, and will exit. Bear hides don't bleed well, due to the long hair, so you want a good exit. These bullets should give you this.

Try to place your shot high, so it breaks the shoulders, and wrecks the spine. This will drop any bear instantly, but you may need to send another shot into the heart/lungs to kill it. This has been my experience. They can be very tough to kill.

Good Luck

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
CK: I am hunting off a boat in Prince William Sound.

To date the 175 TBBC seems to be the overwhelming choice of the three I listed.

Is there a better round to use?

A few replys have indicated that something other than the 175 TBBC will give me the power to break the shoulder and achieve the exit wound needed for tracking if the bear runs off?

As far as shooting range I am expecting a shot of 200 yards or less.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW:
I have shot five Black bears in Canada with my 30/06. Have used Sierras in 150,180 and 220. They all worked fine....bear never went further than 25 yds. However, I did settle on the heaviest bullet (which is a soft round nose) because it gave me a much better blood trail to follow......should you need it. So...by all means go with the heavier bullet. If you like premium..that's ok but, normal Sierras/Hornadys will do just fine.

Posts: 89 | Location: New Canaan,Ct., U.S. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the three you mentioned will work fine. I would try all three and choose the one most accurate in your rifle.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BHW: I have used the 160 gr. Nosler Partition and my 7mm Remington Magnum to harvest 2 Black Bears. Both were one shot kills. I highly recommend the Noslers.
Good luck and enjoy Alaska!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BHW,

Since you are apparently going to use factory ammunition, go with the 175gr. TBBC. Although I am an unabashed Swift A-Frame fan, Remington no longer offers the 175gr. SAF load.

Use of the heavy-for-caliber TBBC will allow you to aim to break both shoulders if possible.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote