New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEED HELP White tail load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, on my b-day i learned my mother is gonna send me to Minnesota to go deer hunting with my Uncle, I want to use my 358 norma, so I was wondering could I use 358 winchester silver tips or any 358 win load pull the bullets, and put them into my 358 norma with a less load of powder. I am no expert, but I figured (correct if wrong) I could load the 358 win silver tips up faster than a normal 358 win round to have slightly more energy and ftlbs not to norma range but more than standard. Is this possible, or would normal 358 win loads and speeds be sufficent in norma brass? plz help. thnx DP

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just buy some 200 sp from Hornaday load them to about 2900 and have a ball well kill any deer you hit properly.

Posts: 19398 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Tell me what load you have now for the .358 Norma. Unless it's a solid it will be just fine for whitetails almost no matter what the weight. But I don't know what weights were made for that cartridge. I bet it's 250 however.

The .358Win Silvertip you mention has been made in 200 gr and 250 gr. They are almost impossible to get as far as I know. I see no sense in pulling bullets out of .358Win cartridges that may be worth $20 plus a box to someone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use norma 250 grn round nose, thought that would be a bit much. How ever in alaska I have found tons of winmag silver tips. but if my norma will do the job without hand loading, so be it.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Yes stay with that Norma 250 gr factory load.

I am sure it will be just right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 358 Silvertips for the 358 win. are butter soft and will come apart like a handgranade out of a 358 Norma..In fact I have found them too soft for the 358 Win.

Use a good 250 gr. bullet designed for that caliber like the 225 Nosler or factory rounds.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I am not sure which .358 Win Silvertip that Atkinson means or both? But the 200 gr .358W load is perfect for medium to large whitetails out to 200 yards. I am positive of this. But this does not mean that it's not butter soft for heavy boned game.

But if the 250 gr bullet is the subject then I have only shot them at targets. All that I am sure of is that there is a lot more kick than 200 gr loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't reduce loads in the Norma below "starting load data".

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady's 200gr bullet in my 358Win and it handels the deer in northern MI just fine.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanks guys, you saved me much un needed stress, ill just use my 250 grn factory ammo in that case.