Find
Notify
Tools

late season wyoming antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
My youngest son and I will be hunting Wyoming area 32 second season. I have the maps (BLM) and have also gotten the muddy mountain slips. We are not throphy hunters. Just would like to see a few animals. There seems to be alot of public land. Anyone hunt this area willing to help me narrow my hunting areas down a bit? Also anyone have any camping area ideas. Any help would be great. Got him a rifle coming next week (couldnt see him taking his 45lc pump lol). Got to get some longer range practice in. Lucky to see an animal 100yards away here let alone shoot that far.
thanks
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I don't have any guidance, but I would like to wish you and your boy good luck. What kind of rifle did you get him?

I'll be up around Laramie hunting antelope and deer during the second week of October.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the luck. I already am blessed as my boy wants to hunt with his dad! He also is my cowboy action shooting partner.
I picked up a remington bdl in 3006 for him got a good deal on it(I think) $300 unshot.
Good luck to you.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Indeed you are blessed. My four year old daughter is real fired up about going antelope hunting with Gramma (my mom has a NM hunt at the end of the month). She's also been hounding me to to take her crocodile hunting ever since she saw an episode of "Tracks Across Africa" in which they shot one.

We took both our kids to Wyoming antelope hunting last year.

Here's our daughter with my wife's buck:

And here's our son with a doe I shot.

May you have as much fun!

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of bucks from unit 32:

That is a huge unit. Lots of public land. My advice is go to DNR right there in Casper and ask them. They will tell you where the best places to be are THIS year. Works for me.

The 2 bucks pictured were taken at over 200 yards each.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Great looking family and super animals! My two older boys are at the ages where they are too busy for hunting. I do alot of motorcyling with them. My youngest loves the woods and guns.

Doc thanks Ill give that a shot. I was thinking we would have to shoot out over 100 yards. Gonna hit the range ASAP.

dean

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kid shoots better then you Dean!!! Cool I don't think he'll have any issue with shooting a goat. You better hit the range. Let me know next weekend You can come over and we can shoot 200 yards. I'll teach you to shoot 200 yard if you want for a Fee of course!!! Razzer BB2

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonto:

Doc thanks Ill give that a shot. I was thinking we would have to shoot out over 100 yards. Gonna hit the range ASAP.

dean

I practiced to 400 yards regularly, and to 600 about 1x/week. You should be comfortable shooting to 350 IMO. Prone, bipod, whatever.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
We always see good amounts of antelope going from unit 47 to Casper-as the Desert Ram said talk to the Game and Fish-they always seem to be glad to help a new commer!

KILL THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We drew late season unit 31. # buck tags! Do you think we'll do ok?? Any good bucks in that area??.........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote