Find
Notify
Tools

New hunting knife...can't decide
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I've been looking around for a new 'all around' skinning and quartering knife for whitetail deer to feral hog sized animals. I've sorta narrowed my choices to these 3, and can't decive. Anybody got good or bad things to say about them that might help me decide? Am I missing another good choice for $100 or so? Thanks!

Buck Alpha Hunter w/ATS-34
I don't like the wood handles, very pretty but not practical with wet, bloody hands, otherwise very nice!

Benchmade Drop Point Hunter
Good allaround feel and look, but again, wood handle (maybe better shaped). I wish it was better steel than 440C.
Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point
Probably the best fit for my wants with the 'grippier' handle, but a Spyderco that isn't a folder?

Suggestions? Comments?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Those all seem like good knives but if you really want to see a knife perform see if you have a store near by that has "Knives of Alaska". I have a huge outdoor store within an hour of me and they carry them. If I had the money, I would go that route over anything else.
I've never seen knives that rugged and that sharp so if you get the chance check them out in person.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
M61, I've looked at KOA in the Cabela's catalog...nothing wrong but the price! I tend to use things hard and occasionally they get lost in the deep brush, or borrowed and not returned. That leaves me in the $100 price range, so I don't cry if it is lost!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I've used the Spyderco Moran with good success, although more recently I've leaned toward smaller knives with thinner blades like the Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter and the A.G. Russell Deer Hunter.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
Bark River Knife and Tool.

I have this one and like it.

http://barkriverknifetool.com/professional/highland-stag.html

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Buck. I have tried several others, and none have held an edge like my Buck does. I have my first Buck knife that I always use. It is similar to this one here!

I have also tried the Skinner model, but you don't get enough leverage on the joint cuts that you can with this model. Like I said, mine never loses it's edge when I need it! I can get it sharp enough to shave with without any trouble.

Posts: 68 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe your concern about wood handles. I've used wood and bone handles forever and never ever had any problems regardless of the degree of blood and gore.

I'd be hard pressed to buy a plastic, metal or laminate handled knife for anything serious.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH. Personally, I prefer the wood. Over the years I have used various wood, micarta, horn, and bone for knife handles. Wood has always worked best for me. Micarta and horn get a little slick with blood on them. The wood gets a little tacky depending on finish. Blade design and material has always been my first worry, handle material and design can be changed.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with 440C steel? Many custom makers use it. It is a good knife steel asnd will hold a good edge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am probably fast reaching fossil status, but I dug out my old Buck Personal for my elk hunt last year. This is one of the old ones with the flap on the sheath that covers the handle. Non-serrated blade. I think that knife is one of the best designs ever.

The end of the handle (pommell?) is as useful to skin with as the blade - that is one feature that most of the new knives seem to have missed. I use the smooth end of the handle to press against the skin/membrane seam while skinning, and the skin comes off with a lot less cutting. I have never handled the new Buck, but the handle does not look too functional.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you happen to check out the Outdoor Edge line? Great knives and reasonably priced. I own two, my bro had one, my nephew has one, my hunting partners got one... we really like em!

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I personally like a longer blade than the three you posted, but if I had to choose between those three it would be the Buck. Best blade I've ever had on a knife was a Buck. Smiler

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am kind of a knife collector so I have many, many kvives. One of my favorites is the Cold Steel Master Hunter. It has a four inch blade. Very sharp and holds an edge very well. However the blade did tarnish.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorites are marbles knives. I have a Bison and another one that I forget the name of. The woodcraft looks like a dandy and comes in a number of different handles. Recently I was given a Cutco hunting knife that looks interesting. It is scary how sharp their blades are. Lifetime sharpness gurantee. Sales guy said a taxidermist friend used one once and bought another. Uses one on about 20 deer and when it gets slow cutting he sends it in to get resharpened and uses the other on the next 20. Strange blade design but seems to be plenty sharp. I have not dressed any big game with it yet. Have a good time shopping.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to take a look at Gene Ingrams knives. Very nice and reasonably priced (for a custom knife), comparable with Spyderco, Cold Steel, and a few others.
http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Ref: wood handles...I can live with 'em, but they aren't my first choice. I spent many years with wood handles fillet knives cleaning fish, and when I changed to my Dexter/Russel Sani Safe fillet knives I never looked back. Maybe it is a confidence issue...but it is a factor I consider. I take practical over looks every time...but if I can get both I will! Big Grin

Ref: 440C, good blade steel, but I was sorta looking for a really high end type steel...maybe I've been reading too many forums debating the merits of this steel over that...but for this I just had placed 440C as the minimum, acceptable, but minimum.

Ref: Semi customs...very interested, but can't justify the money. I set $100 as my upper limit and need to stick with it...for now...but those Gene Ingram's look sweet!

I keep coming back to the Buck, and may just have to give it a chance to impress me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris Reeve's skinner. Use it on game, use it as a pry-bar, use it as a hammer. You won't hurt it.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That Gene Ingram knife has a nice shape.

If you plan on skinning quite a few game animals, I think you will find that a skinny blade w/ less drop will do the job much better. I have Quite a few skinning knives and It seems that I keep coming back to the Old Timer that has the skinny blade w/ less drop. The Blunter, thicker blades are hard to skin w/ especially if you are talking about skinning ferral hogs. The skinny sharp pointed blades seem to just glide through the tough hide on ferral hogs as well as whitetails. When I use knives that are thick and have a good bit of drop (Blunt), it seems you have to do alot of "sawing" even when sharp. If you get a thick blade a/ a good bit of drop, I would definitely get one w/ a gut hook.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I was leaning to the Buck, as I have found it elsewhere for under $90...then I found out that Cabelas has special runs from major makers...including a Gerber Freeman in S30V for $90 and a Gerber Gator in ATS54. I really like the looks of the Freeman...

We may have a winner!

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have the Bill Moran knife mentioned above (slighty different blade shape though -- the FB01 shown on the website in the top post).

The handle is amazingly comfortable and much less tiring than a "normal" style -- tested by skinning several moose. Smiler

I have knives with all the steels mentioned above, and I can assure you that none have come close to the edge-holding of the Bill Moran Spyderco. However, the same steel can behave differently depending on tempering, so one has to keep that in mind.

I used to have the url to a website operated by a materials engineer which tested a lot of knife steels for wear resistance on a machine cutting cardboard, but I can't find it now. I do recall that the Bill Moran came out at the top of the pile for steels which were at least somewhat rust resistant.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider making your own. There are lots of kits with good steel and a large selection of scales, albeit not such a good selection of pre-cut and punched leather, unless you want the mountain-man look. Plenty of those.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH, I have one Gene Ingram and a couple more on the way. They are great, D-2 steel. I recommend Gene's stuff highly.

Having said that, S-30V is fantastic stuff. I have a couple of fallkniven knives in S-30V that are just great in every measure.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish,
I've got one Ingram and two on the way, myself. Mine are of S30V. I'm fairly new to Ingram's products so haven't put them through the ringers yet. Will say I haven't dulled the first one yet.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marbles! They are carbon steel so they will rust, but they hold an edge better than any other I have experienced.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Cold steel, I have the all terrain hunter and am probably going to get a master hunter because of how happy I am with the AT hunter. 5 years hasn't needed much more than a touchup to the blade.

gabe

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
DPhillips, I am glad to know Gene is working in S30V, I must have one of Gene's in it! I have also found great durability in My first Ingram knife, skinned a couple of big Kansas whitetails and didn't need to touch the blade up a bit.

Regards--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out the Cold Steel master hunter, I have been very pleased with mine, I also have had goood luck with Buck knives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 Randalls, a few other customs, and a Cold Steel Trailmaster, but my favorite huntingknife is the Gerber Freeman Exchange.

I like opening the peritoneum with the gut hook, and the saw blade opens the sternum with ease.
The blade is razor sharp and holds an edge well.

The point is it does a lot, and fits in one slim sheath.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Go with the Bill Moran knife! You wont be sorry

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote