New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Muzzleloader Buck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saturday night was,, confusing But Sunday, it was CLEAR!
Well the story starts out on friday. I saw a nice 180 class buck and he got away. He was a spooky devil and I could not get close for a shot. I went to another hunting area and found some NICE deer. One buck was real wide and the other was nice but a little narrow. Well after talking to my friend we went back Saturday. I found both bucks and the big one was still hanging out on the ridge and only dropping down to breed does. The other buck was after a doe to the bottom of the canyon.
It took us all day to get there where we last saw him. About 4:00. We were glassing when I looked down and a BIG deer was coming out of the canyon. I got to a place to shoot and took him at under 100 yards. At the shot the buck was SLAMED to the ground. My buddy and my son were both watching. Then all of a sudden He was up and gone. I ran to catch sight of him as he was going down hill. I saw him still going down hill. The canyon was full of Rock pillers and Huge bolders. Then I see him for a split second at about 40 yards. I took the shot and instantly turned to yell at my friend John that the buck was running to the left. In less than a minute he shot, and I see a buck that is shot in the butt. My shot felt good so I didn't know if he had shot it or me. I took a shot at 160 yards I am not sure if I hit him, but I thought I did. We ran closer but he was way out there. I shot again at 275 and the shot was just a pinch low, but he only took a few more steps and went down. I took another shot at about 160 and hit him. Then I got another shot at about 40 yards and soon he was done. I get home and post on another site I had shot a buck. The problem was when we gutted him my first shot was no where to found. It should have been near the spine to slam him down like it did. This is the deer I thought I shot.

Well Sunday we found out that my son had lost my shooting sticks and we went to find them. The last place we had them was the 40 yard running shot that felt good. We found the sticks, and the FIRST deer I shot at, yes the first deer. He was below and to the left in the bushes behind the rock. He had ran about 10 feet past the opening in the rock and fell dead. When I shot him that time, a SECOND buck flushed. That was the smaller buck I saw that morning.
When he flushed John thought it was the buck I hit Because I yelled it was running to the left and shot him in the A$$ to get him to stop running.
Now things came together. I shot the buck I thought was 30" I put a tape on him he is 29 3/4", and he died. The second buck flushed and we pounded him thinking it was the first deer getting away.
It took all day but we got them both out. He is a great buck actually both are. The buck was wounded from fighting. His Cheek on the right side had a antler tip wound in it below his eye. Man it smelled bad. The sore was nasty and it ruined the cape. I plan on using the cape off the smaller deer for a mount.
I learned some things with this hunt. If something doesn't seem right check it out. Also a Hornady 410 will go from the flank to the shoulder at 150 to 160 yards we found two of my bullets maybe three in the smaller buck. A TC Renegade muzzleloader with a GM barrel and a Lyman Peep are great hunting combo.
Last big bucks are where you find them. We got lucky, very lucky. Well better go and remember to thank the lord again. This is the pictures of the deer I got. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
A couple of great old bucks, that's for sure!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Very nice mulies!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
This was the first deer I shot with a muzzleloader in the area. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote