New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronghorn Doe with Horns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone perchance have a picture of a Pronghorn Doe With the Straight horns? I am trying to convince a friend with a doe license to target one of these, and would like to show him a picture of one. I am not talking about the "rubber" horns, but the true spikes with the beautiful hair rosette at the base. I tried to get a hunter I was guiding about 5 years ago to shoot a Really Nice (5-6") one, but he turned her down.

I have seen a couple of these dead, but had no camera at the time. Of course, I have seen quite a few while hunting, but never when I really want one! boohoo

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
We came across one about 3 years ago while pheasant hunting in the panhandle of Oklahoma. Of course the stupid things were standing about 40 yards off the county road and would never do that during hunting season.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I shot a couple of Does with horns in Montana a few years ago.

I'll look for the photo's

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I see them every day, but have never taken a pic of them. I had a bearded hen turkey at the water yesterday, she had poults.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker

Thanks , that would really be appreciated if you could.

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that it's legal to shoot such an animal and use a "doe" tag on it?

Most states don't differentiate between "bucks" and "does" as such. The tags are usually specified as "antlered" and "antlerless." In other words, it's what's on top of the head - not what's between the hind legs - that makes the difference.

Yes, I know... Antelope have horns not antlers.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Bigasanelk,

Wyoming differentiates between bucks and does and issues specific licenses for each. Both have horns. Bucks can be readily identified by their black cheek patch.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a picture at home on my computer of a 4-5" doe that we killed last year. When I get home on Monday, I'll post it up....

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Thanks Rackmastr that would be great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for taking so long....here is the pic of a friend's antelope doe taken last year......

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Rackmastr thumb

I'll forward it to my bud so he can see what one looks like.