Find
Notify
Tools

Game meat in Utah
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear Guy's

If we were to take an Elk. We have the issue of meat.

As we are unable to take it back to Aussie, the question lies what can we do with it?

Is it able to be sold, given away?

There is 4 of us going so there could be a bit if we all get lucky.

Thanks Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, game meat from free ranging animals such as elk can not be sold anywhere in the USA. Now, in places where elk are considered livestock and not game, this may be legal.

That being said, most of the western states allow meat to be given or donated. For instance, in Colorado where I'm from, you can fill out what is called a donor certificate and give the carcass to someone. But, there is a catch. If it hasn't been processed, that person also has to have a license for the same species and sex in order to take the carcass. But if it has been processed (cut and wrapped) then no such rule exists.

Remember, that is Colorado and not Utah. So you would have to find out what the law in Utah reads. Most states have really good websites for their game depts these days so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

And, often there is something like Hunters for the Hungry in which you can pay to have the entire carcass ground into burger and then donate it. This is really common in the South where deer limits are extrememly liberal. Don't know off the top of my head if it is common or easy in Utah though.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must be careful with the meat. Utah has some very specific laws on how you can give the meat to others. It requires specifically worded documents to be signed by the donor.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy processes tons of game meat each year. I bet he can answer any question you have.

Clay Meiers Game Processing

12835 MINUTEMAN DR

Draper, Utah 84020

USA

Phone: (801) 572-5039

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Hunters Feeding the Hungry is an option. They take donated meat and distribute it to the needy.

Utah Coordinator:
Kelly Bingham
801-726-2598 - Cell

A list of participating butchers in Utah is below:

http://www.fhfh.org/Butchers.asp?StateLookup=UT

Clay Meier's Game Processing is on the list so you can probably just call them!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Guy's

Thanks for the great information.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kelly Bingham is your man as listed above. He and his group do a great job getting donated meat processed and distributed to the needy.

You can't sell elk meat taken on a hunting license. It generally isn't too hard to donate it to friends, guides, etc.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In BC Canada I was able to donate the mule deer and black bear carcasses to the guide. I just had to write that down on the hunt return form and get the guide to sign it. I wonder if something similar is possible in the US.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you strip the tenderloins to make a camp dinner!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a guided hunt with an outfitter, many if not most of the clients do not have a way to get the meat home. The outfitter generally will have arrangements to put the meat to use...either a list of folks wanting game meat, an arrangement with Hunters for the Hungry, local soup kitchens, etc. Ask them before the hunt.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote