New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunting Sleeping Bag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This probably isn't the place to post this question but I couldn't figure out a better place. Anyway, I am in the market for a new sleeping bag for my fall elk hunts. Here is the regular scenario; I pack in by horse so space is a concern. The weather can be very mild(40's and 50's) at night or it can be down right witchy. We sleep in a wall tent the majority of the time, but I would like to get a bag that is compact enough for packing on a horse, but also in case I decide to "coyote" out during the hunt. I would like to keep my expenditure within $150 if possible, but willing to go a tad more if I have to. What experience do you all have with bags and what would you suggest?

Thanks for your input on this.

By the way I am 6'3" and about 240 lbs.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Some of the Army Surplus bags are great in cold temps and packable too.

Coleman makes good bags.

You can get a good Quality 0 degree bag for 50-100 bucks from Sportsman Guide, Cabelas, etc.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use your money for quality. Don't buy junk, i.e. economy, surplus, etc. Whatever the manufacturer, I suggest Qualofill. Best filling available, even insulates when wet, it's light, and pretty compressable.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Wiggy's.

www.wiggys.com

He has a variety of weights depending on how cold you plan on it getting outside.

May be a little more than $150, not sure (I bought mine about 4 years ago). Great bag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you are right! ;-) Just paid $250 for my bag, mummy shaped, the ultima thule model or something like that. It's going with me on my sheep hunt, where I'll be sleeping in a leanto. Haven't tested it in any kind of cold yet. It's a bit bulky, but then again I have one that isn't and I freeze my .... off in it.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans-

I think you'll be happy once you use it, especially the Ultima Thule. Never slept in one, but they sure look like the cat's a$$.

BTW, I just looked at Wiggy's site. The Super Light (my bag) is $166. The Ultra Light is about $20 cheaper.

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Arguably the best sleeping bag on the market is made by Western Mountaineering. No shortcuts, the best down available, and one that will last you for years. They might cost a bit more, but on those chilly mountain nights when you're camped out at 10,000 feet, a great bag is worth every penny. My second choice for a bag would be one made by Marmot.

From WM's web site:

Along with quality materials and workmanship our design features set our sleeping bags apart from all others.

Our hood openings are more contoured in shape so that even at rest the sides of the hood lie closer to your face. We build the differential into our mummy bags so that the shell fabric "breaks" to create a rectangular cross section. This construction allows the baffles across your chest to lie flat for better down control and increases the overall loft of the bag. The V-Block Side Baffle found in our winter bags, ensures positive down control on the top, bottom and along the sides of the bag. Our EXTREMELITE� bags use the newest, most compressible and lightest weight fabrics being developed.

All of these design features are intended to give you a well functioning bag that will last a long time with superior performance.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Ditto Western Mountaineering

Quality and cheap are at opposite ends.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you 100% on that quality & cheap matter, but there is one major downside to down, especially in a bedroll. First off, let's accept that it is top of the line for insulation--until it gets wet. Then it has nearly zero insulation capacity, and on top of that, it dries quite slowly. To anyone in the outdoors, this is a major concern. It is the only knock on down, but a major knock. Qualo-fill is nearly as good an insulator, and still has a high insulation value when wet, plus it dries extremely rapidly. Yes, it is minutely heavier, but it is also significantly cheaper. If you KNOW that you'll never get wet, down is the cats meow, but unless you are sure--which to me means knowing you will never be out camping, then there are better options, the best being Qualo-fil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, would avoid down. I have found that REI quallofill (and equivalent) bags are plenty warm, durable, and still retain a fair amount of insulating ability when damp. If you decide to go with down, add a gore-tex bivvie sack to your equipment list and use it as a sleeping bag cover when you aren't in a regular tent.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the latest flyer I saw Cabela's had some of their better bags on sale.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Northern Outfitters. They offer a bag with PrimaLoft that is ounce for ounce as warm as down but stays warm when wet. It also dries very vast. they make a bag that will fit you fine with a wide hip area and boxed foot. Rated at 30 Below and unlike Cabelas stuff you don't have to knock off 30 degrees from the rating.

It packs up into a basketball size and weighs around 4 pounds. It is not $150.00 but you get what you pay for and mine has lasted for over 5 years of 90 plus nights out a year in weather from 50F to minus 20F. It's got more horse miles than most people will ever experiance and I have not one single complaint about it.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
winnie, Don't go cheap you will regret it in the long run and nothing spoils a hunt like getting cold.

The two that I use the most are a Mountainsmith Vison, mummy bag, weighs in at 2lbs about 325.00 and the other is a Northface Superlite mummy, weighs in at 3 lbs 10 oz and cost right at 250.00. I also pack a Gortex militay outer bag liner. Now this is the best money I ever spent, warm and water proof, they are about 100.00

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a question from a 6'6" stomach sleeper (numerous broken noses from my bball days), what kind of rectangular bag is recommended under similar circumstances?

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Guys, You can get a Dang good Bag for 50-100 bucks from Coleman, Cabela's, Sportsman Guide, etc.

I have used them on Several hunts and have been just as warm (warmer in some cases) than guys that have the 300 dollar bags. As a Matter of fact, some of the High dollar bags are TERRIBLE!

Some of the Army Bags are WAY better than other high dollar bags. If any of you know anyone who served in cold climates, just ask them.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I agree with you 100% on that quality & cheap matter, but there is one major downside to down, especially in a bedroll. First off, let's accept that it is top of the line for insulation--until it gets wet. Then it has nearly zero insulation capacity, and on top of that, it dries quite slowly. To anyone in the outdoors, this is a major concern. It is the only knock on down, but a major knock. Qualo-fill is nearly as good an insulator, and still has a high insulation value when wet, plus it dries extremely rapidly. Yes, it is minutely heavier, but it is also significantly cheaper. If you KNOW that you'll never get wet, down is the cats meow, but unless you are sure--which to me means knowing you will never be out camping, then there are better options, the best being Qualo-fil.

Arts
Yeah that is the major down side...However I submit if you get your bag that wet,you have a major problem with your shelter or outdoor skills.When expeditions attempt mountains
in extreme weather,what do they pack?
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the horse is carrying it, and money is a concern, it is hard to beat some of the milsurp, mountain bags, but some of the older ones are heavy. I have one of the cheap colemans, and an REI, both qualofil. From my experience, and I have stayed out in both at -15, there is little difference in the two as far as warmth. Fit, however, is a different matter. The REI, is far more comfortable, and the zippers and seams are of infinitly better quality. When I bought the coleman bag, I was looking to spend as little as possible on a zero degree bag. After spending a week in the mountains, being extremely careful not to pop a zipper or rip a seam, I re-thought the whole thing. Your bag may be the only thing between you and frostbite or worse. Peace of mind is priceless.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I am glad you can get by with a 50 to 100 bag. Me, I will use what I know works and will keep me in comfort no matter what the conditions may bring.
If I am spending the big bucks on a back country hunt, it won't be with a 50 bag, plain and simple
Nothing will spoil a trip faster than being "Cold"

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does anyone know about the Kelty Thru-Hiker series of bags?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. JeffP: (sorry, don't know your last name to properly address you, sir)--basically, I agree with you in principle, but, there are the unexpected. I often don't use a shelter. I have had a bag get wet from a spill of some sort in travel, I have had them get wet while on horeback in paniers. Also, I have had them get wet from an unexpected shower while they were out to air and I was out to hunt--my error, I know, but these things happen. Once had my bag get wet while in a good mountain tent that was all sealed up. We were out for the day and a big storm came up with big wind. A stick tore the tent and snow got in. Bad things can happen unexpectedly, hence I have come to prefer the added security of Quallo Fill over down. It matters not whether the cause can be blamed on myself, if my bed gets wet and it's down, I'm SOL; if it's Quallo Fill, I'm OK. Obviously, each to his own.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Arts
I'm not a sir...just Jeff.
Agreed,thats why GOD made blondes,brunettes and red heads.

Good hunting.Got any trips this year?I leave for a dall
sheep hunt in 4 days.
Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will be a good (expensive) year. Didn't get anything in the USA, but already put in 2 weeks in RSA in June, leave for Switzerland for Alpine Ibex and Alpine Chamois on September 3. I'll finish up with a week+ in Mongolia in late November for Gobi Ibex.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Hope you post reports and pictures of your hunts.
Best regards
Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, sorry, but there won't be pictures, as I don't have a digital camera, just old fashioned film! I generally take lots of photos--15 rolls in Africa in June (2 cameras).

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
With a scanner, you can put your 35mm pics online and the quality is every bit as good as what you get from a digital...

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that, but I don't have one of 'em.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Art, you can also have your film put on a cd, this is a nice way for each hunt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, that's a thought. They offer that where I get my film developed, I believe it's $5 extra per roll. I'm pretty computer iliterate--I'm too old--so from those CD's you can post a picture I surmise? Is it difficult? Does it require any special equipment?

To be honest, I've always just taken photos for my own memories, but if folks really want to see 'em.....OK by me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Art, now why did ya have to ask so many questions
I have never posted pictures off a cd but I think you would still have to have them hosted on the web somewhere.

Some of these younger, smarter folks will surely help us old guys out

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Jimmy, I wonder where the anticipated answers are?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you need is a -30 degree mummy bag from Marmot, Mountain Hardware or North Face.

I have a -30 North Face and I have slept outside (no tent) at -20 degrees and not been cold.

The secondary brands lie about their temp rating. Also, stay away from flannel.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I guess I am just a Budget minded Outdoorsman.

I have a Coleman Exponent 10 degree (39 bucks at Coleman outlet) that will keep you darn warm and a Cheap 0 degree Wal-mart bag that I put inside the coleman when it is real cold. Keeps me warm. I sleep alittle easier knowing I did't spend 350+ on it.

Oh, I did borrow a 300+ dollar bag from a guy that was rated at 0 degrees, it was a piece of junk.

Most of the time you buy the name, you guys have been around long enough to know that.

Good Luck!

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, since you will trust you life to a 39.00 sleeping bag does this also mean that you use a 39.00 Tasco on your hunting rifle?

Most of the time you buy the name, you guys have been around long enough to know that.

Me, I buy what works in a severe weather condition and I do get my moneys worth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't use anything special in the way of a bag but, as some may recall, I also hunt elk in pajamas and slippers on some occasions. For added warmth I depend on a couple of wool blankets and the company of my trusted beagle Bailley. The dog's higher body temp. is quite effective. Now if she would only quit snoring.
I've often thought that this propensity for snoring (loudly) might be a bit of a detriment when it comes to surviving predation. If a wandering bear was to have any idea what a fine appetizer that snore indicated, he would be sure to pay the camp a visit. The really bad part is that, fat though she may be, Beagle Bailley can outrun me handily. I also have little doubt that, when the chips were down, she would do exactly that!
The last time I used a sleeping bag on one of my elk hunts, I used a pretty good Holofil filled mummy bag. I eschewed the company of the beagle. I found the mummy bag to be warm and comfy but the struggle which ensued in the morning when I tried to get out quickly to investigate a nearby bugle would have been something to behold. Escaping the close confines of the bag was made even more difficult since I had apparently managed to catch a fold of my longjohns in the zipper. Perhaps not too surprisingly, this attempt to ambush an elk in the morning was, like so many of my attempts, a dismal failure. Regards, "No Bull" Bill.

Posts: 3768 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, great tale At your age you should know by now, that in bear country you always hunt with a buddy that is much slower than yourself

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have, and have used, a mil-surplus mummy bag (intermediate) while backpacking in Idaho at 8000ft. When the temperature was mild (30's) it was fine. The weather changed and when the temp dropped below freezing I was cold ! I don't know exact temps but it froze over the running creek. The bag is supposed to be rated for 20f I think and that was it. I now have a Wiggy's Superlight I think it is, thats rated for 0 degrees f and weighs less. They ( Wiggy's) are the people who supply the ECWS sleep system to the military for the Rangers and Marine Corp. If you read through the sales stuff to get an idea what they have and then find a ratings or comparison web site ( I did a search for wiggy's and ratings/ comparisons) you'll hear good things about them. As a matter of fact they also make an emergency survival bag for pilots.
The thing that really made up my mind was a tester who wet the bag in the shower, wet himself down, then got into the bag outside in twenty degree weather. He said he started warming up immediately, and actually started to dry out! I don't plan on trying this anytime soon myself but if you need it it's nice to know it'll work. I doubt wet down will do squat. For the money, I figured the Wiggy bag was worth it.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
You can buy a military extreme cold for about $50 and I will tell you from both service and hunting they are warm! I bought a little nicer one now that is lighter off of ebay and got a great deal on 2. Good luck!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote