New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 94 Pack Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking through a back issue of rifle shooter (Nov-Dec 2001), I see a rifle that I just have to get... Winchester 94 pack rifle in 30-30. I haven't bought a rifle in several years, and I'm gettin' a lttle itchy.

It would be plenty handy to carry in the brush. I haven't shot a 94 in many years, being mostly a bolt man. So my question is, how do these things shoot? I wonder about the lever under my hand feeling sloppy or loose. How are the triggers on 94s? Can they be adjusted or tuned if needed? The rifle would wear open sights, of course, probably a williams receiver sight. Any thoughts?

DP

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger can be tweaked a little mine is about 3-4 pounds crisp break it was off the RCBS trigger scale of 12 pounds before I had it done, my 30-30 produces groups around the 2 moa at 100 yards which is entirely acceptable for the uses I have for the rifle (it has a tasco 2-7 x on it in weaver rings and bases). The 30-30 seems to kill entirely out of all proportion to the ballistics. I also have a 45/70 marlin and I would buy a 45/70 over a 30-30 I reckon it is more versatile.

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw a thread on another board, the poster saying that he sold 3 model 94s because none of them "worked right". Anyone else having problems with their 94?

DP

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned quite a few model 94's in the last 35 years and never had any trouble with them and all shot very well. I like the serial number range between 4 and 5 million best and i have picked up some real beaters cheap that with a little tuning worked just fine.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<303hunter>
posted
I lusted after a Pack Rifle as well. Handling the rifle I noticed the barrel contour is pretty beefy. It looks to me like a Timber Carbine in 30-30. It ought to shoot fine. I have noticed the Pack Rifle has been dropped from Winchester's website except in the 9410 .410 shotgun.
I ended up getting an old .35 rem Marlin 336A but still would love to have a "Pack Rifle". I feel a peep sight would be best on the short light carbine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definitely go with a peep sight. The whole purpose of a pack gun is to have it trim and compact. The receiver sight almost double the sight radius. I have one on my 30-30 and it shoots 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 moa. Just my thoughts.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How long is the tube on the pack rifle? Seems to me it is 18.5"?

THX

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

the catalog I have lists the barrel at 18 inches, and the overall weight at 6 1/4 pounds... just right

I was wondering though, how does the model 94 stack up against the Marlin 336? Anyone know?
The 336 looks a little beefier, and I kind'a like the side ejection.

DP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<303hunter>
posted
As far as picking between the 94 and the Marlin, it's pretty much personal preference. They will both do the job very well. Comparing the two side by side, the 94 is lighter, the Marlin has a smoother action. The Marlin can be easily cleaned from the breech end by removing the lever (1 screw) and the bolt and ejector.
The Marlin is full side eject and takes a scope very well, but the 94 angle eject works fine also. The 94 has the inherent toughness of a John Browning design going for it. But I'll bet Browning would have been the first to concede the quality of the Marlin. The Marlin has several internal safety features such as a two piece firing pin which is only in firing position when the action is locked. People deride the hammer block safeties on the new guns but they do allow cycling rounds through the action to unload with the gun on safe. That is a great advantage. The Pack Rifle 94 is actually very close to a Marlin stylistically, with the pistol grip and 2/3rds magazine tube. Definitely the hottest 94 going....then you have the Black Shadow with synthetic stocks and a speedball 24" barrel. Wonder what the new Supreme loading in the Win. 150 grain would do in that?
Or go classic with the Legacy with 24" barrel and full mag. Just so happens I put an unfired Zane Grey Century commemoritive 336 on layaway today...I'm gonna hunt the snot out of it!
Brass crescent buttplate and forearm nosecap, octagonal barrel.....

[This message has been edited by 303hunter (edited 03-05-2002).]

<MOA>
posted
dogtagger, that was me who had the problems with the win 94. I will NEVER buy another winchester product again. They all failed to strike the primer hard enough. I even sent it to one of their "factory authorized" Smith's. When I got the rifle back after 2 months it wouldn't chamber a round so he made the problem even worse. Winchester was less than concerned about my problem. Buy a Marlin 336, it has a stronger action anyways.