New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have decided to go after a bison this fall. I am interested in hearing from you all regarding which outfits are the best value for the money. I would like to keep it within driving distance so that limits me to the midwest. I also would like to shot them in the field.

Thanks,
Casey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Casey,

There are plenty of places one can hunt Bison in the Lower 48 for between $1500 USD and $5000 USD. A main difference between the lower priced hunts ranch hunts and those above $3K being that you will not get the meat from the low price operations, just the head and hide.
From what I have read, I think Cowboy Heaven (cowboyhvn.com) in Montana provides as close to a "real deal" bison hunt as can be had in the lower 48 without being fortunate enough to draw a tag in the Henry Mountains of Utah or spending $5K. You can also hunt on the Crow Indian Reservation in Montana for about $5K and that hunt is truly fair chase and any animals taken are Boone and Crockett eligible.
For about the same money or a bit less you can hunt plains bison, wood bison or hybrids in The Yukon or Northwest Territories of Canada and these are great hunts! No field shooting on these critters. You will snowmobile and look around for days for them and they will run when they see you coming. Further, after you take one up there, the REAL work begins. Took two of us 4 days to get mine back to the vehicle.

Good Hunting,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Casey; I can help you with a hunt here in central ND if you want. You can contact me through my web page www.duanesguns.com the rancher is a friend of mine, and you will be treated right.