New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Rifle to take???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This post is not intended to ask the age old question...."which caliber is best suited for..." My problem, is I have a closet full of rifles, each has harvested critters (whether it be elk, deer, moose, or antelope) in the past. I'm just wondering which one to take on my whitetail hunt? It is like having an extra ticket to the Super Bowl and wondering which of your friends to take along...

Question:
Here are the choices with bullet selection:

Choices:
Ruger M77 .243 w/Barnes XLC 85g
Ruger M77 .308 w/Core Loc 185g
Rem 700 .250 Savage w/Barnes 100g
Rem 700 .270 w/Accubond 140g
Marlin .30-30 w/150g Hot Core
None, take my bow and arrow one

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I assumed this would be for deer and/or antelope. Love the .243/Barnes combination.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nah, just for a whitetail. The .250 was already successful this year on antelope. But to give you some background, the .243 with the 85g Barnes leads the pack in whitetail kills with 15+.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 270 is my all time favorite deer cartridge.
It gets my vote.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
270 short or long it'll get the job done.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H.C.
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with .270. thumb

So Many Guns, So Little Time!

Posts: 61 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be fun to go hunting with any of the calibers you mentioned. I voted .270 because that is my go to rifle and my favorite big game rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went for the .308

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I didn't like any of the choices but I like the 270 best and 250 second best. Lou Cool

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3315 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rem 700 .270 w/Accubond 140g

The above is what I voted for... Seems like my choice matches the majority of the votes...

Therefore you MUST take the 700 in 270 and there you have it... stir Cool stir

Something you didn't mention though and it's critical.

A whitetail isn't a whitetail... They come in all sizes and exist in all kinds of terrains, and ground cover situations. They can be hunted in many different ways.

All of these factors influence not only the cartridge selection but rifle selection too.

So... Give us more info and start the poll all over and your results will likely be much different. beer

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
All are good, as long as you don't use partitions... They blow up you know.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote