Find
Notify
Tools

Kelly's Buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted

My daughter, Kelly, just graduated college and is moving back home. We went out this weekend, hunting whitetail on our farm here in north Alabama. Kelly made a great shot under pressure.

We were sitting in a pop-up blind I had set up a couple weeks ago in the corner of a pasture. The blind was brushed in good and had a good view of a couple of food plots. Deer had been feeding in the food plots and pasture most evenings.

It was overcast and hazy and at about 4:00 two does came out of the woods about 180 yards away and began feeding in the clover & chicory . Shortly they were followed by a buck. The does slowly fed out into the pasture making their way around a pond. The buck however stayed at the edge of the woods feeding and keeping an eye on the does facing us the whole time. The does were now 100+ yards away from the buck and had gone all the way around the near side of the pond.

I told Kelly, that as soon as the buck loses sight of the does he was liable to take off running toward them. She had her .243 on the shooting sticks and was ready. I told Kelly, if he ran, I would try to stop him with some type of vocalization. Sure enough, the does slip into the cover of a thicket and the buck bolts, trotting across in front of the pond. Kelly was on him as I bleated loudly with my mouth, then bleated louder, then whistled, and finally I just yelled, and the buck stopped, and the rifle cracked. It was a clean heart shot at 90 yards, breaking the near side shoulder. The buck ran to the edge of the thicket and tipped over in sight.

I great day of quality time with my lovely daughter. It will always be a highlight of my hunting memories.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Good for her! tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Dandy buck

Congratulations to you two

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congrats to you both!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that story. I am going to share it with my daughter.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That brought back memories of hunts with my daughter. Spend all the time you can with her because it won't be long and she will be off to start her own family and you will become the second most important man in her life.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice father/daughter hunt.
Thanks for sharing.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty young lady! Congratulations on a fine shot and some great coaching.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulate her on a fine buck for me. Nicely done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The season closes on the 31st. We are going to try and get out a couple more times.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"girls and guns"
It's a wonderful combination.
Congratulations to you both!
Zeke