THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Excellent Write Up on Long Range Shooting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Excellent Write Up on Long Range Shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
DJ- It was a fine article and I said so didnt mean to set things off but no need to be calling people you dont even know names etc. Sorry for causing a stir.

35W- PM Sent! Thanks for the info.

Bye the way i'll be hunting in texas soon and just thought we could hook up and talk huntin'.

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Quote:

By the way i'll be in texas soon i'll look you up.

Check your PM, I'll help you "look me up".
35Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Thought I was taking the middle road and being open minded by posting this article.
35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was probably one of the better arcticles I have read on hunting and shooting long. He wrote about all the variables of shooting long on game. I use the tactical style of scopes on my hunting rifles. 30mm tube Lueplod's 4.5 X 14 X 40. I keep 100 yard zero's on the rifles. After lasering the range I just click up for what ever range I am shooting. I am lucky, where I live I safely shoot to 1000+ yards so I am able to practice shooting long and to verify what the true come ups are for my rifles and the loads I am shooting. So far the scopes have been absoluetly repeatable. I keep the come ups taped to the stock for shooting out to 600 yards.

I tried bipods and don't like them. They add weight and just never seem right. I now use a tactical type of cuff sling made my Tactical Intervention. The cuff is worn on the arm above the bicep. The cuff has a quick disconnet clip so that the sling can be used as a standard carry sling while the cuff stays in place on the upper arm ready to be clipped into the sling. I also carry a sock filled with plastic beads to use under the butt if I shoot over a backpack. With practice they are very solid shooting platforms form the sitting (my favorite) or prone position.

I also shoot long range competition that has helped with wind reading immensely. The only way to learn what the wind does to a bullet at longer range is to practice shooting in the wind. I mean shoot a LOT in the wind. I had shot competition for 4 years before I finally felt I had a good handle on it. Learn to read the mirage. In my opinion that is best of all indicators to tell what the wind is really doing.

The Col. is 100% right, 400 to 500 yards is a LONG shot under field conditions.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35, It was a good article I especially like Boddington. I just thought the "looking each other up" might be for something other than a friendly beer or two.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote