New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose hunting in Maine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for some information about moose hunting in Maine. Were did you go and did you use a guide. Is it the type of hunt that I can do myself?
Thanks
John

Posts: 1295 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Yes you can do it yourself. You need to apply for a permit, the deadline is around april first. you better hurry! Most all your northern zones are very good.

The hard part about killing a Moose in Maine is getting the permit!! It's like winning the lottery!!!

Good luck!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deadline is April 1.Maine "sells" bonus points.Pony up and buy enough,and you'll draw.Took me 10 years under the old system,and I was lucky.Went unguided.The work began once the moose was down! Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
DaveP - - -

Lets see some photos!!! Roll Eyes

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Notice I said "moose",not bull.Took a camera with me,but only photo I took was when we were back home-and that was of the head (I collect skulls as well).I gave myself till the midpoint of the hunt,and then it was "next moose I see".In '97,I drew a really poor zone in NH.Was told to shoot anything I could.Saw 5 bulls in the 3 days before the season.Opening morning,passed a bedded cow at 50 yds.Eventually winded us,and took off,only to get dumped by someone else about 300 yds away.When we walked on over to see it,and told them we had passed it up,guy responded,"well,you shouldn't hadda ought done that!".Never saw another in 9 days of hunting.Wasn't going to let that happen again in Maine.Saw a lot of bulls in 3 days before season.Got busted by one opening morning.Had a 50" + bull come in to calling,10 minutes after legal time (and boy was that tempting...).Couple days later,saw the cow and SCRAAAKOOW! Shot it at 0700,got the last load in the truck,and the truck reloaded (we were sleeping in it) at 1300 hrs,got to town/check station at 1500,then drove straight home until 0500 next day.Then cut and wrapped.Then SLEPT! Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote