New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bison bull, speechless
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over the years I have seen many Bison, but this was something special.
I could not believe my eyes, glassing a small herd of Bison, about 35 animals; I spotted the most beautiful Bison Bull I have ever seen. In a flash I could see the dimensions of the animal, shape and size of the horns and wonderful color, the hide was totally covered with thick fur from a dark gold brown to black, just stunning.

Because one picture says more than thousand words…….

The herd, not hard to figure who is who………..

About 70 Yards away and I squeezed the trigger, a 260 Grain Accubond hits the center of the bull’s brain; the great beast went down like struck by the hammer of Thor.

Thirty seconds after the shot!

Minutes after the shot

To good to be true.....

Cartridge & bullet, recovered weight 226 Grain

Just sharing, Smiler
Roland

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Wow that is great.

Thanks for sharing!

Where did you hunt?

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the animals heading back toward their pen??????

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
Are the animals heading back toward their pen??????

100,000.00 plus acres pen

Roland

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I can understand why he might think they are pen raised, the "GREAT BEASTS" buddies dont appear to be too distraught after seeing him struck down by the "HAMMER OF THOR". It is pretty cool when a plan comes together. Having a buffalo fall in the middle of a road has got to be a bonus. Action must of happened fast, you never even cinched down the boot laces. Congrats!

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it this wasn't really a hunt, mroe of a "shoot your own Bison" kind of thing? I mean they don't appear to be very wild... Either way great pictures...

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! IMPRESSIVE!! 30 seconds an you were at your bull with untied boot laces. Hey "Hammer of Thor" what power did you have your scope turned up to?
I doubt it was a meat hunt or else you like alot of burger. Hope you didn't get conned into one of those $4000 "trophy bull" hunts. BTW my neighbor has about 20 bull elk in a 200 acre pen all score better than 350" and he's selling them CHEAP. PM me your addy and I'll have him and the taxidermist call you...maybe they will barter for some burger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're speechless? I'M SPEECHLESS!
But no sense in me piling on.

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland,

Sounds like you are hooked on Bison ....EXCELLENT! Now that you are hooked though you should do some digging and hunt the species under more interesting conditions. I am not slamming you (NOTHING intrinsically wrong with shooting your own meat) but only saying that there are other opportunities out there (about 10 of them) that will offer you a whole new image of the species that you obviously find intriguing.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Did you get to drive the tractor? That would be cool.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrHawg:
Did you get to drive the tractor? That would be cool.

jumping clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Members,

I think we all know that 98% of Bison hunts are a harvest.
The purpose of my post was to share some pictures of a beautiful animal; I never claimed that I hunted this bison down in the Henry Mountains or in some other remote place for many days’ etc.

Like I stated before a 100.000 plus acres pen is pretty big, regarding the remark of the gentlemen about the road yes people drive on ranch roads and sometimes animals are close, an other gentlemen quoted my 30 seconds, well may be it was 3 minutes or 57 seconds, apologize not keeping track on accurate time.

Regarding the tractor, gentlemen not everybody is as strong to gut an animal like that in the field and walk 10 miles back with the packed meat, so I really did like the tractor, I am aware that some hunters on this forum have the capability to hike for day’s in the Bitterroots and come back with hundreds of pounds of meat, all my respect for those who can, unfortunately my physical capabilities are not on such level. Cool

Anyway, I was on an 8 day hunt, the bison was an addition because of the nostalgia, and I was lucky enough to find a nice one.

Most important, my family and I had a great time.

I wish everybody a great and happy New Year, lots of health, great hunting and success in life. thumb

Thank you,
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taken like a true gentlemen. It was BTW a grand looking bison! thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil, Roland! The only important thing is that YOU enjoyed your hunt. Others may have different ideas, power to them. But in the end, this was your hunt, and YOU decided how YOU wanted to arrange it.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Roland, gentlemanly response. I've been sitting around watching this thread with Rodney Dangerfield whispering in my ear " I can buy no respect around here......". clap

They are neat animals, but I need to make about 6 more babies before I could handle 400 lbs of hamburger.

As far as hiking meat out the Bitterroots, those rolling hills are for old folks. Central Idaho is where the men and the boys get sorted out.... beer

Enjoy the hide and the meat, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roland1:
Members,

The purpose of my post was to share some pictures of a beautiful animal; I never claimed that I hunted this bison down in the Henry Mountains or in some other remote place for many days’ etc.

Like I stated before a 100.000 plus acres pen is pretty big, regarding the remark of the gentlemen about the road yes people drive on ranch roads and sometimes animals are close, an other gentlemen quoted my 30 seconds, well may be it was 3 minutes or 57 seconds, apologize not keeping track on accurate time.

Regarding the tractor, gentlemen not everybody is as strong to gut an animal like that in the field and walk 10 miles back with the packed meat, so I really did like the tractor, I am aware that some hunters on this forum have the capability to hike for day’s in the Bitterroots and come back with hundreds of pounds of meat, all my respect for those who can, unfortunately my physical capabilities are not on such level. Cool

Anyway, I was on an 8 day hunt, the bison was an addition because of the nostalgia, and I was lucky enough to find a nice one.

I wish everybody a great and happy New Year, lots of health, great hunting and success in life. thumb

Thank you,
Roland

Classy response, and beautiful animal. The word 'hunt' in this instance would not have been my choice,, however...Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"As far as hiking meat out the Bitterroots, those rolling hills are for old folks. Central Idaho is where the men and the boys get sorted out...." beer
Dutch,

Ik dacht dat dit in Holland was, maar he je kunt een Hollander niet veel vertellen. Wink

Proost, cheers
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:

Classy response, and beautiful animal. The word 'hunt' in this instance would not have been my choice,, however...Wink

I think we all need to understand that Bison have NEVER been especially wary animals. They are not 1500 lb whitetails. They depended on their size and gregariousness for safety for centuries. I wouldn't doubt if you could have shot the herd bull from a herd 300 years ago, and the cows would have stood around the exact same way.

I shot a Mt Zebra in Namibia, and the entire herd milled around within 100 yards for 30 minutes afterwards.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roland1:
Members,

Thank you,
Roland
Hey Roland, Very nice well thought-out response.

I was just looking at the flicks again and if you had only shown the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th, I doubt if you would have heard a single negative comment.

Congratulations on the kill.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we all need to understand that Bison have NEVER been especially wary animals. They are not 1500 lb whitetails.

You've never seen a true wild bison then-they can teach even the smaartest whitetail a trick or two.

Hunting isn't a mater of life and death......it's more important than that

Posts: 76 | Location: Northwest Alberta, Canada | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland, don't give them the steam off of your shit, even if there lives depened on it! There is no one here who would pass on a buffalo (for meat or wall decorations) in any circumstances.
Now let me say, FRIGGIN' HUGE!!!!!!!!! What did it dress at?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Roland1,

Way to go. The only question you have to answer is "Did you enjoy it?". I hope to do it this fall here in Wyoming. Looks like you used on of my favorite calibers the good ol' .375 H&H.

Hope you don't mind but I liked the first picture and saved a copy of it.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland:

Congratulations on a gorgeous buffalo. The responses of some of our fellow AR members reminds me of the old saying "there are more horses asses in the world than horses". You responded in a more gentlemanly fashion than they deserved!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's an excellent bison! Looks like a nice place to get one too.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Roland,

TRACTOR GOOD, CARRY BAD.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Roland,

Great looking 'buff and the key thing is you enjoyed yourself. Nor did you try to put a big spin on the story.

This tread covers the entire AR spectrum. There's some good info, there's some good humor (you gotta admit the tractor driving crack was funny), the ever-present keyboard commandos chimed in with their ex-spurt critique, and there was some class shown.

That will make one heckuva 'buff blanket!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
90% of the reponses to this thread are far too reactionary. The guy just wanted to share some pictures of his hunt. I suggest a massage or maybe a glass of wine for most of you.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
How much does it cost to get a Rug made from Buffalo hide. I've always wanted one.

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
I think everyone knows that the wise cracks were all in good fun... Other threads have been much nastier...

Drummond, I paid about $600 for a cow a few years ago. Obviously a bull would be much bigger, thus more expensive.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
How much does it cost to get a Rug made from Buffalo hide. I've always wanted one.

Drum

from a bull I shot for meat I had a shoulder mount done with the head up and mouth open like it was bellowing..the back 1/2 of the skin I had tanned 38 sq ft (yes that was only 1/2 the hide) @ $32/sq ft.

One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
Roland, Congrats on a beautiful animal. Thanks for sharing with us. Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland, nice, gentlymanly response to the rants of the green-eyed monsters. As posted, not a one of the curs would have passed up the opportunity.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right.I wouldn't have passed up the opportunity-on Roland's dime.Myself,I wouldn't have paid for such,and I would not call it a "hunt".That said,it is a magnificent looking beast.

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I am a little late on this, but Congratulations. I am looking to go on a meat Bison hunt in a little while. I think it is an awesome way to fill the freezer with good healthy protein. Nice job and nice post and pictures. As our friends from across the pond might say, " Bully for you"

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Let em say what they want. While your eating your Bison steaks fresh off the grill I bet you could care less what they say.
I know I wont turn down the chance to hunt buffalo. there's a lot of good eating.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bison and great pics!

Congratulations!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Roland1, A great animal!, he will eat well!, congratulations!

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roland, Sorry about starting such a shit storm. I know that most buff hunts are that way except for a few exceptions. Anyway, congrats on a great animal.......wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Roland1:

Great Pics thanks for sharing. How much meat did you get after it being processed?

I would love the chance to take one of those magnificent animals.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the pictures (if not all the comments fro others.) Please post more in the future.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote