New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nice TN buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this deer fell to my 300 RUM at 323 yards on opening day. Not a monster deer, but definetly above average for the area.

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
That is an absolute Beauty!!! Congrats...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Everyone raise their hand that wouldn't shoot that buck in a heartbeat...all of you not raising your hand, you are now nominated for President of the BS club....

very nice whitetail...I see a shoulde mount invoice in your future.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer!

That rack has a lot of character. Nice shooting.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!

What part of Tennessee??

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Thats one nice buck! Anyone would be happy with that thing!! dancing

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Very nice thumb

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
There's no way in Haiti I would have even considered passing on that deer. Holy cow.

What was the load? Handload, factory?

Great great deer.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great buck!!

This is a monster deer where we hunt in west Texas...........

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
looks like a monster to me.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind replies, guys.

He's from middle TN, not too far from Nashville. Handloads of 200 AB's over 91.5gr Re25. Out of the 28" lilja barrel, she'll do 3280 fps. Topped with a 8-32x 56 Nightforce.

Lotsa work to get this deer... Opening morning, 15 min after legal shooting light, he walks out into the valley in the background. Bang, hunt over. Of course the real work was in passing up buck after buck over the past several years. I've gone to a 3 1/2 yr old age restriction on the farms, and it's beginning to pay off. I got to see many 2 1/2 yr olds scoring between 90-115 inches, so I've got my hopes up for next year as well.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great buck!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
That's better than any buck I have bagged so far!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by megalomaniac:
Handloads of 200 AB's over 91.5gr Re25. Out of the 28" lilja barrel, she'll do 3280 fps.

We have similar rifles. My 300 RUM is a Remington BDL 700 with a 28" Shilen. I'm shooting 200 ABs over 89.0 Re25. Don't know the velocity. BUT, that load is with Remington brass. I noticed that the identical load with Federal brass was easier on the bolt, so I have yet to increase the powder charge in the Federal brass. No need really. The load has dumped everything I've intended to kill so far, but I was interested in upping the juice a bit to see where I can go with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

During load workup, I got up to 94 grains before getting any pressure signs. I backed off to 91.5 to account for unusually warm days and the increased pressure associated with them. There's just something that makes me a little nervous when touching off close to 100 grains of powder that close to my face!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Did you happen to try Retumbo or H1000?

one of us
posted Hide Post
THat's great whitetail no matter where it would be shot.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep NICE buck! dancing

I would shoot it in a heartbeat. Savor your hunt and shot!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I never got to try Retumbo, but I heard great things about it. I just got lucky with the 4th or 5th loading of Re25 and found what the gun seems to like... 0.18" group at 100 yards! Never any desire for H1000, it just seems to foul more for me than the others.

When this barrel gets shot out, I'm going with a 30 incher next time, then I'll definetly try Retumbo.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
When I first got my rifle back, I tried the 180 Scirocco with Retumbo and got groups under an inch with just about every charge. Excellent load.

Then I decided to try the 200 AB and used Re25 first. Same here as far as good groups....though not .18, but 1/2" anyway.

From KY to MO to SC and then to WY and CO, I've never noticed any changes with the Re25 being temp sensitive. Elevation didn't seem to affect the load much either.

I'm not sure what my next barrel will be. Maybe a Kostyshyn next time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mega, that's a handsome buck, and nice photo to boot.
Good on ya!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Heck of a buck! Congrats

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote