THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Lets hit this one more time..30.06 load for bear??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Lets hit this one more time..30.06 load for bear??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Doc- for what it is worth I've been around about as many dead blackies as anyone. I'd take a close look at these bullets, although all that you mentioned will do just fine.

200 Acccu
180 Noz Pt
168 Barnes TS
180 Horn

The other bullets will do just fine, so no worries as I can see it on any of your choices. I take it your going on a bait hunt? Which Province are you going to?

I do love the bruins and am getting cranked up for the fall season. My wife and I look at about 60-70 bruins a year here, we pretty much only hunt for something that will go in the top 100 of the bruins ever taken in Montana.

It's just a grand time to hunt those critters, and I truly enjoy watching them. It is all spot and stalk here in Montana.

She's passed up quite a few this last year and a half, perhaps this fall she'll be taking one. We did see a couple of blondes this last spring and one that looked about like a 200 pound red fox would look. Hopefully we find him again in a couple of years when he matures and grows up.

Anyway I am rambling about a subject I truly love. I say give me Bears/Coues Deer/Yotes and I need nothing else to hunt. Except of course for the yearly elk to fill the freezer....grins

Let us know how you do.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ok eveyone, I committed to my first bear hunt in 1 week. I decided to take my 30.06 since I don't shoot it much.

Shots will be close, under 40 yards. Bears in the area go from 140-400+ pounds with an avg of 225.

I have a ton of bullets to choose from on my loading bench but I want to know what you think is the very BEST choice. Bigger bullets like the 220? Or smaller faster like the 150-165? I have the following but would still buy whatever:

220 Hornady round nose
200 Accubond
180 Scirocco
180 Speer Spitzer
180 Sierra Prohunter
165 Scirocco
180 Hornady Interlock
168 Barnes Triple Shock
150 Scirocco
180 Partition
150 Partition

Accuracy isn't going to be near as critical obviously, so the plan is to pick a slug, load it up to near max or max of whatever powder pushes them the fastest!! Goal: Not to have a bear travel far at all after the hit. And I do NOT plan on any head shots. Shoulders and heart/lungs. Never shot one so I'm not sure of shoulder/neck region. I hear bears can be the most deceiving in size.

Powder isn't an issue. I have lots and lots of powders:
AA3100
Re22, 19
H4350, H4831, Varget, Benchmark
IMR4350, 4831, 4064
VV160, 165
and in a 20 minute drive I can get whatever else I need.

So, lets hear it.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I would load up some of those 220 gn Rn's with Rlr 22 just because you can for this hunt. At only 40 yds you should get the full effect of a bigger frontal area from the RN. Of corse that is only if you can get them to shoot well in your gun and take out at least one shoulder with the lungs if you can.

Actually I was just re-considering the 180 gn Winchester Power Point as an 06 Elk load. Now that is a conventional bullet designed to go "SMACK"! If you havent tried the big heavies from an 06 this is a perfect opportunity, you might just like um.

Posts: 10165 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

my first bear hunt

I decided to take my 30.06 since I don't shoot it much.
I want to know what you think is the very BEST choice.

I'd take a suitable gun that I was most familiar with.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc: I agree with WstrnHuntr...I would choose a heavy bullet that would make a big hole, and make it go as fast as you think you can make it go and still hit properly. I have been told by more than one black bear guide that they prefer a shooter use at least a 180 grain bullet...regardless of caliber. I really like hunting bears. I hope you shoot a big one. Let it get real close and when it is broadside, smack it.. If I had my choice, and on these matters I usually do, I would shoot Nosler Partitions. They will make a big hole clean through the animal and kill it fast. I have killed two black bears and both were shot with 210 gr NP in .338 WM. Your 30-06 will do great...and you can load 180, 200 and 220 grain NP in that caliber. I would choose the 180 gr for the 30-06...but bigger slower bullets would be good killers as well. Good luck and post photos!

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with rwj on this one

But as he and i both know a 30/30 with a flat nose 170 grain will drop black bear all day..

I take it Doc you have done some hunting more then likely

alot so you know your /06

just shove a 180 or 200 RN in the case load it and shoot

i do kinda like the little flat nose 180 grain speer bullet

but what ever you have will work . your not hunting

1200 Lb brown bear in the thicket so you will be just fine with the 180 or 200 no biggy

O ya i forgot just dump some good old imr or H 4831 into the case . Try 58 grain's of IMR 4831 with your 180 grain bullet's Or 56 grain's with the 200 grain bullet

Take a few picture's afterward's to post up here

good luck buddy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Doc, I would load your 180 gr. Nosler Partitions to about 2700 fps. or better and go hunting.

I've taken black bear from Arizona to Alaska with cartridges ranging from .270 Winchester to .416 Remington, and they've all killed well. Bears are tough critters anatomically, but there are two main factors in achieving quick kills: Bullet placement and bullet construction. If those two issues are covered, any number of cartridge/bullet combinations will work very well on black bear.

I suggest the 180 gr. Nosler Partition because I've had fantastic results on black bear with it myself in the .300 Win. Mag., and since the forward portion of the Partition bullet opens readily and provides rapid energy transfer, yet the rear portion keeps on going, you have all bear requirements covered with one bullet.

Shoot your bear in the shoulder, and he should drop right there..........

AD

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Good advice and thanks. I am very familiar with all my rifles. And extremely comfortable with all. My 'don't shoot it much comment' was really geared towards the last 2 years. I've had this .06 since 1994. Just customized it with a Pac-Nor magnum sporter 22" barrel, stainless. Had the stock painted up in Southwest Oregon, action trued etc. Trigger is factory at 2 3/4#.

I'm loading up tonight. I checked the load manuals and Re22 really seems to be the velocity KING with much of the 180 bullets. FWIW, if I get groups of even 2" at 50 yards and it is going very very fast, then that is the load I'll take.

I'll start with these:

200 Accubond, Partition

180 Partition

220 Sierra

220 Hornady

180 Speer

one of us
posted Hide Post
the truth is that your good ol' power points and core-lokts would kill the bugger just as dead just as fast, but since you have the bullets to play with, i would recommend the partition of the ones you listed. black bear are not armor plated, and as i understand it, are thinner-boned than most people think. if a .30/30 winchester silvertip can drop one, i am pretty sure tha any of the pills you listed will work fine.

my caveat to this is that "i" have never hunted bear. if it were me, i would be picking the best expanding/penetrating bullet i could buy. once again, it would most likely be the partition.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Here's a bit of info to add to the mix. A buddy of mine just killed his first blackie in Canada last fall. He shot it at 8 FEET with a 220 Core Lokt from his .06. Recovered the bullet on farside hide at shoulder. Perfect mushroom, bear went nowhere and died within 3 seconds. Wt: 250#.

Sierra recommends their 180 round nose prohunter
Barnes recommends their 168 TSX over 55.0 H4350 with magnum primer because temps may be lower than 30.
Hornady recommends 165 Interbond, 180 spitzer, and 220 Round nose: all to be good choices.

Even though it is after 8am their time, Nosler isn't answering the phone.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post

200 Accubond
165 Scirocco
180 Hornady Interlock
168 Barnes Triple Shock
180 Partition

My choices.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Nosler recommends 180 Partition or 200 Accubond over Re19.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot two bears, the first jumped into the back of my truck at the dump near Onalaska, Washington as I was getting out of my truck to unload so I shot him in the neck with a 30-30 150 grain Remington factory corelokt. The bear dropped and had to be unloaded with the trash. The other was shot over bait at 150 yard in a clear cut with my .308 pushing a Speer 200 grain Spitzer Hotcor thru both shoulders. Both bears dropped at the shot and both bullets exited. I would lean toward either of the Hornady bullets of standard construction and not worry about getting maximum velocity, 2400 fps is fine.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my first black bear hunt I'm experimenting with Rem 180gr PSPCL, H4350 & H4831, Win LR primers, in Federal & R-P Ni plated Cases respectively. I'm shooting them in an ugly rifle, Sav 111FC, and getting between 1 to 2 inch groups @ 100 yards with velocities between 2750 and 2800 fps @ 15 feet from muzzle. I'm still adjusting the powder charge and free-bore to see if I can get the groups a little smaller.

I've been considering trying Speer 180gr Mag Tips too.

I'll be hunting in the high Sierra's this fall. I see them occasionally, mostly during off season though.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tuesday night after work a my 8yr old son and a friend and I went up the hill called in a coyote and nuked it. Then about a hour later I called in a bear and my buddy stuck it in the lungs with a 100 grain corlock out of 243 win. The bear stumbled about thirty yards and died. It was a smaller female about 200 lbs. Not a monster by any means. I personally would feel better with a 180 grain 30 cal bullet for busting shoulders, BUT its all about good bullet placement.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The coyote was at about 10 ft with 270 weatherby shooting 140 grain accubonds. Don't anyone worry about them being to hard they expand. It was just kind of a pile of guts connected to a tail.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote