THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Singer accused of lying about killing of bear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Singer accused of lying about killing of bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Singer accused of lying about killing of bear
August 17, 2006

DULUTH, Minn. -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tenn., and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.

The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill. Falsely tagging an animal as being killed in the wild is a violation of the federal Lacey Act.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a ''fair chase'' hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine.

Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry ''relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit,'' Dorris said in a written statement. ''Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment.''

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, which includes co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as ''My Town'' and ''If You Ever Stop Loving Me.''

Reported in the Chgo Sun Times

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Some hunter.

Reminds me of the case a couple of years ago when the guy from Brooks and Dunn got caught shooting penned deer in that Russ Bellar mess up in Indiana. These guys are nothing but wannabees with a lot of money.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Just another IDIOT, with too much money and not enough brains..

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that this was Mr. Guide's first killing of tame animal in a pen. I hope they both go to the pen for a little R&R at the Concrete Country Club.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First I am not a fan but we do need to give these fellows their unalienable right to due process. If and when they are found guilty they should be hammered and hammered hard. It is all these people that are in the public's eye that shape peoples opinions on things like control and hunting. Something like this if it true hurts us all.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
If convicted....big if.....Gentry will never see a day in jail. Too famous and too much money.

Boy George (you remember the weirdo from the 80's...Culture Club). He just managed to get away with a few days of community service after getting caught with enough smack that would send a regular low life with no money to jail for many years.

The 'guide' on the other hand will probably bear the brunt of this. No pun intended. Wink

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guide should do HARD time. If he didn't present the opportunity the rich guy would have had to do the old fashion way, The same goes for all those that try for the quick buck. People pass temptation every day in one form or another.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate that guys hat, too! thumbdown

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Gentry cheated himself. He could have had a great bear hunt for half of what he paid, taken a couple good bears and had the time of his life. Stupid!

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
That about sums it up.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't see the problem if he is stuip enough to spend thousands of dollars on a sham hunt so be it. Is shooting a tame bear any differant then shooting killing any other livestock.

I don't see what the DNR is all up set about the got the guys lic. fees and didn't even have to lose a bear for it. Now they can sell another lic and make more money.

Like what was said before he could have had a really hunt and had a really good time.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
The problem revolves around the definiton of 'wildlife'. We may have game ranches for elk, der etc, but originally those were suppose to be ranches that produced velvet antlers for the Asian market and the producers were going to develop local markets for the venison. Unfortunately that has never really panned out in North America.

We do not however, have bear ranches....we have zoos or private permits for a person to own a bear. So bears usually fall under the 'wildlife' category and there are no special arrangements between the Fish and Wildlife Branch and Ministries of Agriculture.

Lastly...........tagging a penned bear with a state licenc would infer that it was taken in accordance with all of the state laws. If it was a 'free range' bear, and a big one, then the next thing you know someone might be trying to put it in a record book of one kind or another. If you break state wildlife laws and transport between states then the federal boys get excited (Yes I am only a Canadian and I could be wrong about this......I am sure one of you will let me know if I am off the mark).

Sorry, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
WHAT A SCUMBAG!!!!!

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Gentry ''relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit,'' Dorris said in a written statement. ''Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment.''

BULL PUCKEY!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote