New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho River rafters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There isn't a place on AR for this kind of info, so I thought I would post it here for starters. I am looking for a ID river guide for a 3-5 day trip next July on the Snake River. There is 5 of us, Mom & Dad & 3 kids. Thanks folks!

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of anyone doing trips that long on the Snake. Lots of them being done on the Salmon, though, and it's a top, top notch ride. The Chamber of Commerce in Salmon should be able to help you.... HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Dutch said.
The Snake through most of Idaho is an agricultural river.
When it first comes out of Wyoming it is nice and clean but when it hits Southern Idaho it is almost drained dry for irrigation.
Then the water runs back in after being used for irrigation and it is considered a fairly unclean river (compared to the Salmon) for most of its length through Idaho.
There may be some good float trips through Hells Canyon but not of any length.
The Salmon on the other hand remains undammed and is not used for irrigation and the Salmon River Corridor remains one of the wilder parts of the State.
Many people float the Middle Fork of the Salmon also.
As another posted contact the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association, they have lots of good info on your topic.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, as said above, Middle Fork of the Salmon, or main Salmon. I was up there just last week ( not rafting, but scouting elk country in my drawn Unit) and there were rafters having a great time on both the Salmon and Middle Fork.

I'd give those a shot if I were you.

Best of luck. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lief,
FYI
There were some major mudslides on the Salmon this year.
You may want to check ahead to make sure the river is running clear when you plan to go up.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend Bill Bernt and his company Aggipah River Expeditions. He is a very knowledgeable outdoorsman, loves to hunt and fish and can design a trip around your wishes. We used him for a chukar/smallmouth trip some years back on the middle fork coming out on the Snake. Great guy, great trip.

http://www.aggipah.com/

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato! That's what I wanted to hear! We use to float the Animas near Durango before kids came along, & haven't been on the river since. I will give them a call, & check out some more on the Salmon. Of course, being the Elmer Kieth fan that I am I will check out the Lemhi too.

one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
Lief,

I do most of my river trips as self guided. Did the salmon in 1999. Corn Creek to Riggins. Great trip.

I have a good friend who runs a rafting company. And when I was younger I rowed a few trips in their boats. They have been doing it 30-40 years. Well established company. They do trips on Hell's Canyon (Snake) and on the Salmon in Idaho, as well all the rivers in Utah.
check out their website at

http://www.bikeraft.com/expeditions

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paint horse thanks for the info, I will call them, too. Talked to Agipah & got their brochure.