New
Find
Notify
Tools

BARNES MRX
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just wondering has any one used the new BARNES MRX proj this hunting season and with what results
daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I haven't and don't plan to. I've never been much of a fan of Barnes bullets, although I must admit the TSX line is a significant improvement over the X series.

With the TSX, Barnes claims match grade accuracy, virtually 100 percent weight retention and a wide (improved) window for low-velocity expansion.

What I want to know is this: If all the above is true, why would anyone justify the additional expense of the MRX? What could it possibly offer that the TSX doesn't? (That last question is rhetorical, by the way, as I DO KNOW what Barnes claims in its hype.)

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9389 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BT
i have had some funny results with barnes bullets from splitting down the middle, to bending and ending up like a banana etc etc, and then the shooting public....barnes may not like it, but after so many complaints about the barnes bullets not expanding they have no option but to go back to the drawing board.
even with the tsx one was still hearing that they were penciling straight through from time to time, so putting in a plastic tip is not a bad idea, i think it will solve the expansion/penciling through problem ,the other on going issue is that they loose there petals when velocity is to high, or if they hit heavey bone and that i dont like...i still dont think there is a better all round proj than the NOSLER PARTITION!!
daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At a dollar each, they will never see a barrel of mine. Pricing is totally unwarranted.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out my post on the 308 in Africa in the African hunting forum.
My wife shot 2 kudu and I shot a bush buck with a 180 MRX in a 308.

We also shot some stuff with the 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. Both factory Federal.

The MRX was very accurate, as is the TB.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
M98-

I had a bad experience years ago with Barnes, and their customer service was even worse than the field results. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement regarding the Nosler Partition. To me, it's still the standard by which all others are judged.

Yes, I use others, but the good ol' Partition is still the one to beat.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9389 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I haven't and don't plan to. I've never been much of a fan of Barnes bullets, although I must admit the TSX line is a significant improvement over the X series.

With the TSX, Barnes claims match grade accuracy, virtually 100 percent weight retention and a wide (improved) window for low-velocity expansion.

What I want to know is this: If all the above is true, why would anyone justify the additional expense of the MRX? What could it possibly offer that the TSX doesn't? (That last question is rhetorical, by the way, as I DO KNOW what Barnes claims in its hype.)

How can you give any creditable advice without trying them? It is like saying you don't like seafood without ever trying it. Roll Eyes

I have been using Barnes bullets for a long time, I still use the Barnes X, TSX and plan to try the MRX. I have had great accuracy and performance on game with them.

Experience beats the hell out of opinions.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Redhawk1-

Read my post again. I never said I haven't used Barnes bullets -- I said I haven't used the MRX.

NEITHER HAVE YOU. As you say, "experience beats the hell out of opinions."

I

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used them in my 300 rum last week and was happy with the results. I shot a 200# pig at 125 yards and it passed through both shoulders. My fiance shot an old 8 point with my rifle and it went stem to stern; the bullet entered just behind the right shoulder and exited the left hind quarter about 4 inches left of the tail. I found one broken petal under the skin at the exit wound. Both animals were "bang flop".

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Redhawk1-

Read my post again. I never said I haven't used Barnes bullets -- I said I haven't used the MRX.

NEITHER HAVE YOU. As you say, "experience beats the hell out of opinions."

I

My mistake, your fault. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked Barnes and their bullets and then little while back I asked for some reloading help from "customer service". They pretty much told me "tough shit" when they finally answered, which was weeks later. So Barnes is no longer an option for me and I use other brands.

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I haven’t used the MRX yet I do use â€X†bullets almost exclusively. I will admit they are expensive and sometimes take some effort to get them to shoot in certain rifles. They also force one to become proficient at decoppering. I like the fact that they almost always exit and don’t bloodshot. Guys liking their bullet to remain inside the animal and drop deer on the spot with a lung shot then Barnes bullets won’t be to their liking. I wonder if some of the idea behind the MRX is the plastic tip that is so loved by Americans. With so many premium bullets available now days there is the perfect bullet out there for everyone. Shoot what you like and shoot a lot?

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The MRX offers a slightly shorter version of the TSX by virtue of the rear non-copper core. It adds weight. The derlin tip slightly increases BC and many shooters have come to expect them on bullets.

X bullets, either the original, the TSX or MRX will not create the large wound cavities hunters are used to seeing with Partitions or old standards like Power Points and Core Lokts. This, and the fact that X style bullets often loose their petals after expansion often results in small exit wounds. Because of this many hunters postulate that the X style bullets do not expand when in truth they expand faster than many other bullets that are considered to be more fragile.

Have only taken one animal with a MRX. IT was a mature warthog shot in the head. The bullet was recovered in the rear ham. Impact velocity was around 2900 fps. The 180 grain bullet penetrated the length of the warthog and lost all four petals in the process.

Posts: 7 | Location: WV | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm always amused that people say the partition which routinely loses 40% of it's weight is the gold standard in tough and complain about a Barnes losing a petal as if it's a failure.

I like partitions and I really like the TSX's the penny or two difference between them is irrelevant. As for the MRX I don't need the expansion at 500 yards, I don't shoot game that far. I've been happy with the performance of both on game I've shot with them. FWIW I don't load partitions anymore as the TSX does everything they do and have been faster and more accurate in my hunting rifles.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the Mrx yet but I am very pleased with the TSX performance thus far.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote