New
Find
Notify
Tools

I "bought the farm"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Or Ranch as we like to call them in Texas!

650 acres of the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Real county.

Blinds and feeders already in place, one neat rock house and a wood framed hunters cabin. We went and cleaned up and filled feeders this past weekend. Set up some game cams and on one cam, we had in one night, 130 someodd snaps mostly hoglets.

The place has whitetail, axis, fallow and sika deer. The previous owners killed some really nice aoudads, saw the photos and good axis and fallow.

They where an older couple and had not fed in a couple of years, I can't wait to see what happens once the feeders have been going a while.

jumping

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Plenty of room to roam :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like heaven. tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Sounds like heaven. tu2

Indeed. tu2

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, when do I get directions and when does the season start??? jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, no double rifles allowed....they're trying to cut down on wounded game :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Where in the hill country are you?

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Rick, no double rifles allowed....they're trying to cut down on wounded game :-)

Oh yes! Doubles are definantly allowed. My 470 is gonna work on some piggies for sure.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Between Leakey and Rocksprings......closer to Barksdale.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Let me know when you are over run with piggies... I'll drive down for a couple weeks and help you clean em out! BOOM

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are your "trophy" pictures of the newest acquistion?

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Cool, Congrats

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:

Between Leakey and Rocksprings......closer to Barksdale.

Nice area; I've gotten to hunt down there a couple times for hogs and feral goats. Good times. Have fun with it!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a neat place and an adventure awaits you. If you need a couple "grand kids" I'll bring my boys down. haha. Congrats on living the dream.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Where are your "trophy" pictures of the newest acquistion?

Was too busy working ( and drinking beer ) to take any Cool

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations J. tu2 tu2

Just so folks will know, and not being a SA, but Real is normally pronounced Re-Al.

Or at least that is the way I have always heard it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ran'l!

Yep REE-Al!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
biebs,
NOW WHO'S THE TURD???

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new place. I just bought a new place in the hill country last month as well. The oilfield moved on to my South Texas ranch so I am moving out for a while. I'm loving the quiet star filled nights and missing the hum of drilling rigs and 24 hour traffic (not really).

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That is indeed a beautiful area. I had a lease near Vance, also near Barksdale, many years ago. Like you said, alot of free ranging exotics.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have every hunters dream to own his own ranch in which he can hunt and manage the game as he sees fit. Good for you.

Back in 1993 we hunted on a ranch here in Central California that was 5700 acres in size. After hunting other ranches that went from 1200 acres to 30,000 acres this little 5700 acre ranch was acre for acre the best hunting ranch I have ever hunted on. Lots of pigs and quail It didn't have a lot of deer but some of the bucks we took off the place were real brutes. The owner took a liking to our family and said he would sell the entire ranch for $ 800,000. After much discussion we could not pull the trigger on buying the place. We continued to hunt the ranch until 1999 when the owner sold it for almost $ 4 million! My dad and I are still kicking ourselves in the ass for that blunder. Good luck to you and happy hunting.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or Ranch as we like to call them in Texas!

650 acres of the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Real county.

Blinds and feeders already in place, one neat rock house and a wood framed hunters cabin. We went and cleaned up and filled feeders this past weekend. Set up some game cams and on one cam, we had in one night, 130 someodd snaps mostly hoglets.

The place has whitetail, axis, fallow and sika deer. The previous owners killed some really nice aoudads, saw the photos and good axis and fallow.

They where an older couple and had not fed in a couple of years, I can't wait to see what happens once the feeders have been going a while.

Good for you JTEX! I hope to be able to buy a ranch someday as well!

I like hearing stories like this!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope to be able to buy a ranch someday as well!

I hope you can too Jason. If you want it bad enough you'll do it, i'm sure.

Hard work and planning, putting off instant gratification and consumption can lead to good things.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! It sounds wonderful!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hunters dream!Congrats!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Congratulations JTEX
That's pretty cool.
Enjoy it :-)

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Make sure to post some pics of the property when you get a chance.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
And get some shots of the "rock House.

Looks like there are enough to start building another.

Pics sure make it look like you have a fun place to play!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Very nice purchase!! Great area for free-ranging exotics...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic; happy for ya on your purchase. You and the wife are gonna have a ball with all the things you can do. Will be down at the Chaparral WMA and Uvalde again this Dec. for deer and will think of you guys.

Good hunting. Joel

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Awesome--we are looking at buying another place adjoining ours too. It is 312 ac and is tough right now--but I think worth the struggle in the long run.

Enjoy you land.

ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cogratulations!

I hunted a ranch out that way (141 Bar D) a number of times; there's plenty of game around there.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blank:
Fantastic; happy for ya on your purchase. You and the wife are gonna have a ball with all the things you can do. Will be down at the Chaparral WMA and Uvalde again this Dec. for deer and will think of you guys.

Good hunting. Joel

Thanks Joel, hope you get another good one!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Pictures ASAP !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote