THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Killing power of different calibers

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Killing power of different calibers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted
Karl-I am a .300 Win Mag guy but my wife bought me a 45-70 Guide Gun.Cute little fella and I started reloading for it.It can be a kicker with big bullets.Well every year I took the .300 for the distance it provides.

This year was do or die for me and the 45-70 and my choice was the Barnes XFN in 300 grains at 2,000 fps.Well naturally I saw two great bulls out of distance for the Guide Gun right off and began to wonder if I had screwed up just to prove a point.But the next day a nice little Spike came out behind the big boys and the Cows at 75 yards.Hit him right behind the front left shoulder and it penetrated all the way thru and he dropped like a head shot and a wound channel I have never seen before.

Could the .300 have done the same?It has but not with a wound channel like that.I assume it lost know petals(As I found nothing) and somewhere in the 0.70 went right thru tairing up everything in its way and exited.

If in distance the 45-70 can be a leathal caliber with the right bullet designed for the Modern 45-70.I would assume the .458 would do it all day and night with any bullet designed for the .458 Win Mag.

Good luck to you..........Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej Karl Erik
I have only shot one moose with my 458Win but I most say that the impact on that moose was in an other scale than my 7mm-08Rem (3 moose). Especially, I really was amazed of the amount of blood that was sprayed out in the are. I had to look around to find a place to lay my jacket before gutting the animal . That bull was brought down with 350gr Hornady, no exit holes.
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote