New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Norma Mag for Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok I have a 358 Norma Mag. what weight bullet would you use for Moose?

All that I have shot are 250g Hornadys @ 2660fps.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
That should be a great load for moose and even the big bears.the hornadys should work fine and you might want to someday try the speer grand slam.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I used a 250 Speer on my moose, and it sailed clean through..... even if it started from a Whelen, about 200 fps slower. That Hornady should do the exact same thing. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DLH - what you have is fine. I like the 225 Partition for everything. Do you have a rifle originally chambered in .358 Norma? Specifics?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken 2 moose and 2 elk with a .35 Whelen and the 250 grain Nosler Partiton @ 2,525 fps.

Your big Norma Mag would be EXTREMELY effective on moose with that bullet.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
You could not shoot a better premium bullet than the 225, 250, or 270 grain North Fork in your .358 Norma. I shoot the STA, and these bullets have proven hard to beat for toughness and accuracy. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I use a .358 Norma Magnum too.

I am currently loading 250gr Rhino bonded bullets in mine.

See Rhino Bullets (unfortunately the site is down Oct 29... keep trying).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu;

It was a 98 mauser, then a 35 Whelen, now a 35 Norma Mag. I had trouble with it it was chambered too deep and the bolt face was done poorly. I fixed the bolt face and set the barrel back and rechambered it my self. It works very well now!!! and is very accurate.

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DLH,

Ditto on mine. 35 Whelen to .358 Norma on a 98. 1-14" bbl wouldn't group anything but 180gr at Whelen velocities. Might as well have an /06.

I shoot 280gr A-frames in mine. Will eventually try the heavy Woodleighs and Northforks. Like the Whelen/06 rationale, if I wanted to shoot 225 and 250grs I'd have a .338.

[ 10-30-2003, 19:39: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DLH-

Let me start off saying that I'm a big fan of Hornady bullets. But based on my experience in a case similar to your's, I'd go with a different bullet.

My buddy and I were both hunting elk with our Schultz & Larsen .358 Norma's a few years ago. Both guns were shooting the Hornady 250gr Spire point Interlock at around 2700 fps.

He took an elk first and the bullet was recovered with a core/jacket separation. Distance was about 200 yards at a downhill angle shooting through the ribcage into the vitals.

I got mine 2 days later at about 100 yards quartering slightly away. Hit him in the ribs angling toward the off side shoulder. The bullet made a large shallow wound with very little apparent penetration. We were never able to find a significant portion of that bullet. Best I can tell it fragmented badly and that's what did the fatal damage to his organs.

Both elk died, but I would call both bullets less than spectacular performances. In the future for big animals, I'd choose a different bullet for the .358.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have difficulty understanding why a 250 gr bullet would not penetrate the ribs on an elk.I have an old 358N that I built on a P-14 action years ago. I've shot quite a few moose and a few black bears with it. I've used 250 Speers and the 250 gr Hornadys and never seen a great deal of difference between the two. They would both shoot through some pretty big moose. In fact I do not ever recall one not going out the other side and leaving a hole you could stick your fist in! There are better bullets on the market,partions,A-frames etc but moose are not that hard to kill. The Hornady or the Speer bullet will work just fine.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jpb,

The good news is the Rhino bullet site is back up and running. After viewing their prices my wallet went into hiding. They do look good though. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
I took a moose with the .35 Whelen and Federal 225 grain TBBC this year. Full penetration on a broadside shot. I would think that with the extra powder capacity of the Norma, a 250 grain bullet would be just right. I like the 225 grain weight for the Whelen, however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
$169.17 for 25 count .338 210 gr. bullets! You've got to be kidding me! I know the bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt, but at $6.78 a bullet, I'll but a whack of other premium bullets and shoot a LOT more.

Seems kind of odd to me, considering that they are virtually identical to the TBBC.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi guys

The Rhino bullets are cheaper then the Trophy Bonded where I am (Sweden). I paid less than the equivalent of $US 47 per 25 bullets.

Among other things, this is because the US State Department now requires an export permit for bullets so buying something NON-American is now cheaper and faster for those of us not in the US.

Its too bad that the (ineffective) anti-terrorist actions of the American government (signed into law by Clinton, but came into effect under Bush) are hurting American manufacturing companies.

Still, the actions of the American government is creating new markets for bullet makers all over the world, and having more choice is never bad!

jpb

quote:
Originally posted by Turok:
$169.17 for 25 count .338 210 gr. bullets! You've got to be kidding me! I know the bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt, but at $6.78 a bullet, I'll but a whack of other premium bullets and shoot a LOT more.

Seems kind of odd to me, considering that they are virtually identical to the TBBC.

Turok

[ 11-01-2003, 18:50: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with all "standard" SP bullets is that they are very dependent on the materials. Variation from lot to lot can make one lot terrific the next one terrible.

I've had 300 grs Hornady IL separate after only 6" of wet paper pulp and some have penetrated almost 20" with perfect expansion and retained weight.

In a 358 Norma I wouldn't consider a SP of Hornady, Speer or anyone if it did not have any means of controlling the expansion.

Hunting is expensive, to expensive to rely on a 50-cent bullet. Buy a Swift A-frame, TBBC, Rhino, North Fork or any other premium bullet. They will give you everything you need penetration and expansion wise.

For moose a 250 or 280 will be sufficient in any angle except from a "Texas heart shot"

Kind a fun to see all you guys experiencing there�s a whole world of cartridges that�s not American of origin.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rhino bullets are priced in Rand. I don't know the exact exchange today but about 4 or 5 Rand to U.S.$ I think. I got some bullets from them last year 416 and 358. I think they were abou $40 cdn/box. I haven't shot any yet but they look cool. We are culling domestic elk and I am using North Fork bullets. Shots are close under 150 yd. and these bullets appear to hold up well from 358STA (250gr @ 3050fs) and 416 Taylor (370gr @ 2450fs) I tried Sierra 225's exploded on impact.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 358Mark:
Rhino bullets are priced in Rand. I don't know the exact exchange today but about 4 or 5 Rand to U.S.$ I think. I got some bullets from them last year 416 and 358. I think they were abou $40 cdn/box.

That would be much more reasonable and make more sense. At that price, they almost fall into line with the rest, but still too much for me.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With today's exchange rate it's about $26/25ct.
Pretty much the same as the rest.
If it works, great, but I wish it were heavier.
358 Norma could do well with 270-280g. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer 150:

Kind a fun to see all you guys experiencing there’s a whole world of cartridges that’s not American of origin.

LOL!
You picked a bad example, bro.
Norma made this mostly for Americans, using Winchester's idea!
But you are correct, nonetheless.
The H&H that started it all was not from here, and the '06 - grandest American round of all - was a copy of a German round!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote