THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Last buck of the season... or the end of time, or not

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last buck of the season... or the end of time, or not
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Tongue in cheek subject line, my weak attempt at wit. I took my last scheduled whitetail hunt yesterday and traveled down to Encino Ranch between Refugio and Sinton at the gateway to the famed brush country. I shot this nice 6.5 year old buck at around 7:30 a.m. on 12/21/12, the last day of the Mayan calendar, with my Anderson/Christman built .260. A more beautiful day for the end-of-the-world one could not have asked for... sunny, brisk a touch of frost and the bucks coming to rattling horns. A nice buck and great outing made it a fitting day for the last one of eternity... even if it was a huge Mayan practical joke!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, and rifle.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Deer!! Really like the stock on your rifle.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Springfield action, or a Mexican Mauser?

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck. Congrats!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Les,
It's a '36 Mexican Mauser...

Thanks for all of the nice comments.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deer and rifle! Off topic, but what make boots are those?

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Off topic, but what make boots are those?

Chippewa with the zipper down the back...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice buck and even nicer rifle. What load were you shooting?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What load were you shooting?

Federal Premium 140 grain Sierra Gameking. And thanks for the compliments on the rifle...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice
Wood and Antler
Maybe even a hint of a smile tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
+2 I like the Buck, Rifle & Boots.

Excellent way to end the season.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed tu2

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Russ. 155"-160"?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck.....he's got it all!

Congrats

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Nice buck/rifle/boots and hunting location. I too spent my supposed last day on earth doing what I enjoy most... hunting. I enjoyed a little plantation style upland bird hunting (pheasant, quail, and chukar) with my new 20 gauge side-by-side.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice buck Russ. 155"-160"?

Todd, thanks, I would guess him at upper 30's low 40's? Short on his 1's and 4's.

Thanks again to all for the nice comments...

- Rudyard Kipling