New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had some luck in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In my 17th year of applying, I drew a Texas desert bighorn tag last fall. I stopped applying in western states years ago, but I always bought my chance in Texas, as it's a cheap way to keep a dream alive. I always believed in the sheep restoration program, too.

Oddly enough, it was not my first time to win something from Texas Parks & Wildlife. Back when I was in high school, I won a lifetime license in a TPWD conservation poster drawing contest. And the poster featured a pen and ink drawing of a large desert bighorn ram I had made the year before and said, "Restore Native Species." It's pretty wild that I ended up getting to hunt one thirty years later!

Anyway, here's the sheep:

And here are some fun details:

Hunt was this April at Elephant Mountain WMA, a TPWD property dedicated to desert sheep. It has been a highly successful property largely due to being a defensible, standalone mountain, with any aoudads that show up killed and with predators well managed. The biggest threat to the sheep is probably the golden eagles that live there and regularly kill lambs. TPWD leaves the eagles alone, of course.

The ram was 11 years old, with horn damage due to weakness from sinus tumors. TPWD guys said he likely wouldn't have lived another year with the horn core exposed.

He grossed 169 but netted below all time book due to the horn damage. I think the damage looks cool.

I shot him at maybe thirty five yards after two failed stalks in swirling wind on top of the mountain. After bumping the sheep (he was with another ram) twice, we made a wide loop around them, expecting them to drop down the edge of the mountain/mesa. All of a sudden, there they were, standing in tall grass and Spanish dagger within bow range of us. Instead of dropping down the cliff, they had stayed on top and followed the edge. It surprised the heck out of us! One shot from my .280 AI through heart, and he reared up on his hind legs, jumped straight up, and then fell down dead.

TPWD runs a special operation at Elephant Mountain. The guys are super committed to the species and making sure the hunts go well. The mountain and surrounding country are beautiful, with all kinds of pretty desert plants and cool looking birds and reptiles.

It was a fairly easy hunt that was over in two days. I did personally pack out the head and skin despite having a team of helpers from TPWD, and the extra effort felt good. Oh, and the meat is delicious. It's sort of like lean beef. I'll be sad when I finish all of it. And yes, now I'm applying in the western states again, hoping to get a Rocky Mountain or California bighorn one of these days. After all, I'm a lucky person, as my 5 year old daughter tells me.

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
You are indeed lucky! Thanks for the story and photos.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats!

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice ram! congratulations!

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A W E S O M E!!

That's a great experience. I got mine in CA, 2009. He also has a bashed up horn, but on the driver's side.

I am also applying for Rockys now, just in case.

Big congrats! beer

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, that's a great ram. I believe the damaged horn gives it character!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome! I’ve been putting in for that for years and never drawn. Glad to see a report from the lucky winner.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram. Congratulations on persevering and finally drawing a tag. I have been buying chances for many years as well. Good to see a fellow AR member win it... I think we have had one other Texas AR member win in past years. ED505 maybe?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic win, hunt, and wonderful ram! Big congratulations, well done.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram! Very special.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It took me weeks to come down from the excitement of being drawn.

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Congrats Sandyhunter, did you draw the slam or just the sheep?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats Sandyhunter, did you draw the slam or just the sheep?

Thanks! Just the sheep. It was the public draw with bonus points.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great one!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Very special. Congratulations!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a magnificent ram! Your report was most welcome and clearly heart felt -- one of the best I have read here in years. Thank you for posting.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Congratulations and the horn damage looks awesome, to heck with what it did to the score!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! I hate you though….
jumping

And am seriously jealous…

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Good to know the program still exists. I thought they'd given up when mountain lions were killing the sheep they put on the mountain. I got the deer/javelina permit twice in the 90s. It was only a "three day" tag, hunt first day after noon, full day, end at noon the "third" day. Came close, but never got a deer, but did take a javelina both times. Wildlife every where around Elephant mountain. Beautiful area. Congratulations!!!

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely awesome!! Congratulations on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding man! Way to stick with it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Outstanding David! Tell your Dad howdy for me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Fantastic ram - talk about character! - and huge congratulations.

I love to see perseverance pay off!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Outstanding David! Tell your Dad howdy for me!

Will do, Lane. He lost his eyesight a few years ago and my mom this spring. The excitement of the tag and the hunt provided some much needed positivity, and he was the first person I called after taking the ram.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheep draws are Black GAp, VAn Horn, and Elephant as I recall, I was all but raised on the Adams ranch next to Black GAp and went to school in Marathon and Marfa..Elephant Mt. is south of Marfa on the Presidio highway as I recall, shot some Coues there many years ago also I ranched the Rosillas that borders the big bend park. I hunted Mexico in the Sierra Del Carmens for Mule deer, Coues, sheep and bear as a kid as we had a ranch leased across from Boquillas Mexico...that whole masive Senoria desert is a cornocopia of wildlife. congrats on your hunt//

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote