New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: nosler BT too explosive, almost
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got about a 120lb spike buck yesterday. Was hunting a powerline from an elevated position with my .300WM and 180 BTs @ 3000 fps. Lasered him @ 808 yds. The power line and one of those huge insulators was right in line with my vertical crosshair, putting them right in my trajectory arc and I wasn't going to risk it.

Watched him for about 20 min, and mentally dropped the hammer on him a couple times. Finally, he stepped 10 feet to the left, putting him in the clear. Wind was as close to a ZERO as you can get. Put the 800 yd circle on him and let him have it.

Dropped like a rock, kicked a couple times, and he was done. Didn't take a step. Computer says terminal velocity was 1692fps, and dumped 1147ft-lbs in him. Bullet didn't exit (I'm pretty sure, it was dark by the time I got to him)
Stuck him directly amidships, blew up the lungs and diaphragm. Certainly made a mess of him in there- fortunately, that's the part I dump on the ground

One shot, one dead deer. Almost a total bullet failure, huh?

marc

Posts: 55 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
800 yds
???
??
?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eight hundred EIGHT, to be exact

Posts: 55 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most hunters in the Western World do not realize that velocity is useful ONLY to flatten trajectories and make long shots a bit easier. The close range energy generated by velocity is a major negative. The best impcat velocity for most big game is between 2000 and 2500 fps, depending on bullet construction.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot an antelope in eastern Montana last year at 300 yards with a 150 grain BT out of a 270 Win. The bullet broke a rib going in, and destroyed lungs and everything else inside, and did not exit. I thought at that range it would have slowed down enough to not be so explosive, and I really expected complete penetration, on an antelope standing broadside. Oh well, if that animal had gone anywhere there sure wouldn't have been much of a blood trail, but he dropped in his tracks, which was good, but I can't say I trust that bullet anymore, especially on a large mule deer buck. I think I'm going to save all my BT's for coyotes.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sabot- I do quite a bit of long range shooting-I use Premier reticles in my long range guns coupled with a Lecia range finder. If I read your comment right-you stated that hunters in the west use speed only to flatten out trajectory. For me, and this is just me (but I would guess that a lot of long range shooters would agree). I use as much speed as I can get to help with the wind drift more than worrying about drop.

Just my thoughts....

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote