New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camo, What works?
 Login/Join

<monyhunter>
posted
I am going Caribou hunting this fall in Alaska. This is going to be a once in a lifetime hunt for me, and I want to make sure I have everything necessary to make it a great hunt. Clothing is going to be an important part of making this a great experience. If it is cold, I want to be warm. If it is wet, hot, snowy, or whatever, I want to be able to have the right clothes. So that leads to the question: What clothes work best? I am going to be buying everything from Cabela’s because I get a discount through the lodge. So what should I get? The pattern of camo is less important to me than the functionality of the clothes. I need something that won’t be too bulky, but will still be warm if needed. I look through the Cabela's catalog and there are so many different clothes it is hard to know what will work and what won't.

So what has worked for you in the past? Also, if you have hunted in Alaska before, some advice would be nice. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't concern myself with clothing, just keep it as olive or earth color and you will never go wrong, How many eskimos have you seen in camo, unless it was give to them. Movement and wind is the key to hunting success.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
Thanks for the advice Ray, but I may not have been real clear about what my concern is. My concern is not which camo pattern or design works, its more a function of what type of clothes are going to work.

I have never hunted with camo until two years ago I bought some pants, a shirt and a nice thick button-up Woolrich shirt. The two shirts were real nice and are still in my closet after two seasons. The pants however, are a different story. They ended up being crap. They would not keep me very warm during cold snoy days, so I ended up wearing long johns and Levi’s underneath. That combo was way to bulky so it was not fun hiking around all day. Needless to say they pants ended up being so trashed after two seasons (about 30 days of hunting and hiking) that I tossed them.

My real question is what have people found to work for them? What is all this marketing hype about Thinsulate, Gortex, Microtex, Dry-Plus Silent Suede, MT050 Hi-Tech and so on? I know what the functions of these things are, so what I am asking is if people have any testimonials about what works and what doesn't? Spacifically I am looking at the camo in Cabela's catalog.

Surely I am not going to Alaska with my blue jeans and a polo shirt. I have to buy some hunting clothes, but don't know what to get. I also want to make sure that should the weather be rainy or snowy or even hot that I am prepared for it.

[ 06-30-2002, 07:40: Message edited by: monyhunter ]

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Imperceptible movement. Or the camo you are wearing when the animal doesn't see you move. Maybe a different brand of wool would be in order. Heavy Woolrich Malone pants have kept me warm for 30 years. A good synthetic long john helps. King of the Mountain stuff looks beautiful and you pay for what you get. I also have some Gander Mountain fleece pants with Sympatex and a polyester lining I got on sale for $50 and they have been very warm and waterproof. They started to come apart a little at the slash pockets but were easy to repair.

[ 06-30-2002, 08:41: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to layer. My personal preference is wool. I also like to have a Gore-Tex, Dry-Plus, Storm-Tech rainsuit; my personal favorite is a Storm-Tech that's not too hot. The rainsuit fits in my daypack until it gets wet out. Alaskans usually use Helly Hansen rainsuits because they just work; you'd never get much use of it in Idaho. Make sure your jacket has a hood.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Cabelas Dry plus camos several years ago made from their saddle cloth. These were heavier than raingear but not heavy insulated clothes. I think they were sold as Bow season stuff. At any rate I wear the pants all year except summer. They have held up VERY well. In winter I wear sweat pants under them and in spring and fall I wear them alone when hunting in wet weather. Now I am wearing them in PA. so you might need heavier stuff if going where it is real cold. Point is the Saddle Cloth is pretty tough and breaks the wind real well, add the dry plus to it and it is great foul weather gear.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer wool also..It is proven in the game fields....A good pair of wool bibs is always right and layers are the only way to go. I combine bibs with layers of wool sweaters and polyporpaline 2 piece long johns...I always have a light down jacket and vest and a windbreaker parker to keep the down dry. All in Olive drab. My latest addition is a heavy soft 80% wool long coat from Cabelas with flaps inside the pockets that have shell loops on each side..these flaps can be worn outside the pocket or inside..It is a great coat...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What part of the state are you hunting if southeast then you need to look at really good rain gear anything will work but it needs to breath or you will get so warm and hot that it will cause greater problems, wool works well untill it gets wet then it is heavy and will lose the warmness the person that stated a layer system had the right Idea with your top layer being watter proof as well as wind proof I have hunted Bou in jeans a lot but never with a shirt like you said [Smile] [Smile] though.

If the northren part is where you are going like the brooks range then besides rain you will need somthing to keep you warm also it can and does snow up that high in Aug and you can get indian summer in Aug, Sept. too take a lot of socks as you will be in high tundra and walking in new boots with wet or damp feet can make your trip a bad one also a light pair of gloves and one set of heavy ones are also a good idea Bou are not that hard to hunt.

i wear old army tiger strip in the fall with light long johns that breath under them and a light weight watter proof jacket and vest so as the day warms up or get's
colder i can take off some things and add to it
if I have too. also some good type of hat to keep the heat in or the sun off your head sorry it was so long hope this helps Have a good trip to are state: Coyote Slayer

[ 07-01-2002, 02:36: Message edited by: Coyote Slayer ]

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Face mask for the final approach. I regularly have deer look at me from ranges as short as 30 yards unable to tell if I'm human or a funny tree and I'm convinced it's because they can't see that big white oval. I don't normaly wear any camouflage just green trousers and an old tweed shooting jacket.

Biggest difference will be a face mask and gloves - good luck

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's Saddlecloth/thinsulte parka & pants kept me warm and dry in Alaska two years ago. Cheaper and quieter than goretex. I had called Cabella's and one of thier staff helped me select what I needed. Call them up - they will probably help you.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Doc_Halladay>
posted
I use the camo from there guys works great in the forest, feilds, or plains. http://www.naturalgear.com [Smile]

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Alaska twice now for sheep, Griz, and Moose. I pack very light and try not to bring any extra clothing. I took only Fleece clothing. I wear one set in and bring an extra set. Fleece is very light and warm and weighs very little. It also will not absorbe body odor as easy as natural. I use packable rain gear that is nylon. Use the rain gear to block the wind and provide extra warmth if needed. Goretex is too heavy for my taste. I also bring 6 pair of socks. You have to keep your feet dry. This worked for me well on both trips. I was never too cold and my guide appreciated the minimal amount of clothing because I had room in my pack for other important items like food. Both of my hunts were 2 week backpack hunts so weight and space was a major concern. This system may not be for everyone but it worked for me.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe is dead on about 2 sets of clothes. I prefer wool. It stays warm when wet. Also please consider taking the best Hip Boot you can find,IMHO LaCrosse anklefit.Good Hunting,Crowcommander

Posts: 26 | Location: Gurdon,Ar. | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
<monyhunter>
posted
Thanks for all of the help. I think I am going to take a trip to the Cabela's in Nebraska. I can get there in about 3 hour drive. This way I can see a Cabela's store, [Big Grin] plus try on all the camo and hunting clothes I want.

It looks like wool and fleese are the best choices, as well as bringing two pair.

Now if I can just find a stinking shooting range in Denver I will be set.

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Sleeping Indian Wool. Layer it, and you will be toasty warm, even if wet. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how seriously you need camo for caribou, I worked around caribou in the arctic for years. I found that they generally had pretty poor eyesight but excellent senses of smell.

I'll agree with the need for layering. Although I prefer synthetic fleece over wool because it dries faster.

For boots I prefer those Knee high rubber boots that have removable felt liners (Acton,sorel, lacrosse)

http://www.acton-intl.com/outdoor2a.asp

Bring spare liners

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote