THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Traveling with black powder rifle-by air

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with black powder rifle-by air
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I'm currious about flying with my muzzle loader to go hunting but am unsure if the airline would allow me to take my Goex fffg in my luggage. Has anyone here flown and taken their own powder with them or do you find a place to buy it when you arrive?

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 99% sure you are out of luck traveling with a can of Goex. What you can do is travel with a muzzleloader and a shotgun...but load the shotshells with black powder. Hell, to transport more powder (if you didn't need the shotgun) you could even load them entirely with black powder and no shot (I would mark these somehow so you don't end up shooting blanks at birds someday) When you arrive at your destination, simply take apart the shotshells and salvage the powder.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No you can't fly with Black powder even in your stowed luggage. You would be far safer, legally, just arranging to have a can waiting for you once you get there or picking up a can once you arrive. Be sure to clean out your powder container well too. You may have to forgo the powder horn if you use one of those.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I don't believe it is legal to fly with a can of smokeless either. Given that, it seems like carrying ANY powder in "cartridge form" endows the substance with legality. Further, I can't imagine a moronic TSA employee (sorry I am a little bitter at the moment) knowing the difference between smokeless and black even if they took the cartridges apart. If one has a particular powder preference, this is the only way to go. I was forced to use Pyrodex (BLECH!) recently due to this issue and my next distant hunt will also see a bunch of shotgun shells loaded with Swiss accompanying me.

JMHO,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote