Find
Notify
Tools

scope problem - fog and rain
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
This year I hunted in rain sleet and snow. All gave my equipment a test. I had two shots spoiled by fog and/or rain on my scope lens. I wouldn't use a flip up so is there any substance to apply that works?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the butler creek flip ups on every scope and have never had a problem.I would be very careful about using antifog treatments on scope lenses for fear of damaging the coatings.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem with the ultra-humid conditions in south Georgia...I am thinking of trying a "no-fog" spray on my scopes and binocs, but want to know a good brand first. Seems the stuff I have tried in the past leaves a smudgy haze over the lens, which, obviously ain't the way to go.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sadly the only real fix I have found was flip up caps on your scope. With practice you can get really quick at flipping off the scope caps, it becomes kind of natural.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the covers with glass in them. They keep the dust off too.

"Everything is a problem"

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine hunting w/o flip up caps except maybe DG where a bobble may cost you valuable time. All my scopes wear them, even my .404, I just take those off when actually stalking.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be a little leery of any of the rain guard stuff. I tried Rain X on my windshield when I lived in Okla. As advertised, it beaded up the rain and it had to be raining rather hard before you needed your wipers. BUT, when it wasn't raining, the stuff acted as a great dust magnet --I don't know if that would be a concern on the east coast or not-- but regular Windex and such wouldn't touch it. When it got so grungie that I decided to take it off, it took quite a bit of detergent, hot water, and elbow grease. I'd go with the caps. The see thru kind.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
What about some of the newer scopes that have a "Rain Guard", Bushnell Elite and some others, also doesn't Leupold sell a lens that fits their newer scopes that is supposed to stop fogging, it goes on top of their other lens I think? I have one of the Bushnell 3200 Elite in 5x15-50mm, I can't remember ever having any fogging at all. I just bought a 6.5-20x50mm LRT Leupold, I haven't ordered any of the the new lenses, I wanted some feedback from other users first. I also have Butler flip-ups too.

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in western Washington with a scoped Model 70. It usually rains during deer season and it always rains during elk season. I use a flip-up cap on the back lens and nothing up front - a few drops of water on the front lens are no big deal but the same drops on the rear lens will put you out of business. The rear cap also keeps me from fogging the rear lens with my breath, which is even worse. Also, I leave the cap on all year so I learn to flick it open without thinking for every shot, no matter what the weather.

How you carry your rifle also matters. In rain/mist/snow/wet brush, I keep my right hand on the pistol grip with my right thumb just touching my solar plexus. The muzzle points down at about a 30-degree angle and my front lens stays dry. The stance is easy to use for long periods, it's conducive to fast shooting and I train from it year-round.

For long moves in the wet, such as leaving camp before shooting light or coming back after dark, I sling over my left shoulder, scope down, with the barrel parallel to the ground and hold the sling with my left hand. My left arm protects the action and scope, which ride just below my left armpit. It has to be raining mighty hard for them to get wet. When I get to where I'll hunt or as the light comes up, I go to Low Port Arms as described above.

Once you perfect the muzzle-down carry and learn to make yourself use it, 90% of your wet-weather problems go away.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard