Find
Notify
Tools

10 or 12ga slugs on Moose ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, the 16yo son and I are looking at a possible moose hunt in a short range weapon area only. This includes Muzzle loaders, shotguns and archery. I've written a letter to the ID F&G asking if hanguns with straight walled cartriges could be added to the list. Maybe I should start a petition, have a bunch of guys sign it and send it in? Anyway. I have a 10ga double and we're looking at another 10 ga double for my son. I'm thinking that a 10 or 12ga slug should do the job within 100yds or so.
thoughts?
Anybody loaded 10 ga slugs?
I do have a 54cal Knight, but would rather use a repeater.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are certainly 10 and 12 gauge slugs available that would perform well on moose, at least assuming a good broadside lung shot, but you might have trouble getting your double barrel to SHOOT them accurately enough..Double guns are notoriously erratic performers with slugs and seldom will both barrels shoot slugs to the same point of aim..

A pump, auto or bolt action would be a better choice , especially if it had a slug barrel with adjustable sights or a scope..A rifled bore would be even better..

If I were you, I'd use the .54 muzzleloader and make the first shot count.. It would be a better choice than a double barrel shotgun..

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking at 60A or 63/63A on the river? The ranges will be plenty close, and either a muzzleloader with 300+ grain bullets or a 12 ga. slug is more than enough gun for the job. We do it all the time, and I have another non-res in there this year. I would lean towards the muzzleloader in order to enter the moose in the record book, and take along an 870 or such with the Federal 12 ga. sabot slugs as backup. As for the pistol question, it is a moot point. We have tried to get this added for years and the answer is always "NO".

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Pygmy regarding using a double for shooting slugs. Not only are you facing the unlikelyhood of it putting both barrels in the same spot but you are facing a difficult sight mounting issue. To shoot slugs accurately from any shotgun you need something more than just a front bead. I use a 1x4 Leupold on my 870 and it will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards. Beyond the issue of a double is the fact that slug technology has advanced tremendously in the past 10 to 15 years and will be mostly reflected in 12 gauge offerings. There are not enough 10 ga. shooters out there for the ammunition companies to spend much time developing loads. Personally if it were me I'd use the .54 but if a shotgun is the weapon of choice go with a 12 ga. single barrel with either good irons or a scope, a rifled barrel or choke tube, and modern sabot slugs.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If you are going to use slugs, 12 ga. is a better choice than 10 ga. for this application. The only 10 ga. slug in production is the Federal at 1 7/8 oz. Great weight but it is a Foster slug -- it does not give very good penetration. I have a single, double and SP-10 autolader in 10ga, and have taken about 30 deer, a wild boar and 2 black bear with this load. I would NOT recommend this loading for moose, if placed anywhere but through the ribcage it will not penetrate far enough. Also, it drops like a rock, and you will not get top accuracy out of a smooth bore as opposed to a rifled barrel.
In 12 ga. you have the Remington Copper solids, which give great penetration and still expand. Berenneke also makes a good slug.
In new products,(have not tried them), Barnes has the expander in the Federal line and there is a new hardcast lead slug of the "Hammerhead" design -- I do not remember who is marketing this one, but it is one of the major ammo makers.
I hope this info is of use.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
<BCSteve>
posted
Remington makes the "Buckhammer" if it's the load you're thinking about.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried shooting 10ga slugs before? Man those suckers kick! I have two buddies that had a 63A tag last year and the wife of the buddy I hunted with has one this year. One used a muzzleloader and the other a 1100 Rem 12ga. I dont know what slugs he was using but the friend with the shotgun lost one bull hit with a slug before he finally got one. Personally after hunting with one of the two there last year I wouldn't think twice about using a muzzleloader with a scope. The accuracy is so much better with a muzzleloader that the single shot part wouldn't bother me. Besides that the terrain is so thick in most spots a follow up shot right away in unlikely. Most of the time the moose can take one or two steps and be out of sight. At times a 200yd shot isn't uncommon either and I wouldn't want to have a slug gun if that were my only chance at a good bull. I would suggest putting a scope on your Knight and adding a 209 primer conversion kit with some 348gr or heavier Powerbelt bullets and two pyrodex pellets (either 2- .50cal 50gr or 2- .54cal 60gr). If you practice you can reload them amazingly fast and hit a pie plate @200yds every time.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The 209 conversion would not be legal in a straight muzzle loader hunt as per the regs, but it might be legal in the short range hunt. I've shot the Power Belts and they do great in my 54. I get better accuracy from 110gn of Pyrodex RS vs 2 50gn pellets. I don't think that a scope is legel in a muzzle loader hunt. I'll have to re-read the regs on that point. I'd hate to get in trouble. The zone is 60A. The mosquito's were terrible last weekend. The wife found us a couple of mosquito suits on ebay today. I'll have to see if they are useable.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scopes and 209 primers are legal in a short range weapons hunt but aren't legal in a muzzleloader only hunt.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone make a 3.5" 12 gauge slug? I see 3" on a regular basis and use for bear protection while fishing or around the cabin but would like to move up to a 3.5" 12ga - anybody know of this product? Thanks - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote