Find
Notify
Tools

Monster B.C. Mountain lion photo!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted
I was looking at some SCI Chapter websites and found this photo in one of the Member Photo Galleries.

This is either one huge mountain lion, or a midget that really likes to hunt!

-

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Big kitty alright.

Reminds of the pic of JJHACK and the mt. lion he got in Washington St.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know that pose looks awfly familiar as does that cat. Is there any possibility that photo has been retouched? I am just asking and NOT accusing, but it seems to me that not long ago a monster of a cougar was making the internet rounds being held in the same pose and by a similar guy, just the background looks different. I am not trying to offend anyone if I am wrong,just posing the question.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
This is probably the photo that you are thinking about. It's amazing how these photos get passed around on the internet. I first saw this photo here, on AR.com, posted I believe by JJHACK.

I just received this copy of the photo several days ago in an email from a friend in Pennsylvania with a message claiming that it had been killed "18 miles north of Harrisburg by a coyote hunter."

See my post about the huge Bushbuck, http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008685 ,for more information about the source of the first photo.

-

[ 10-24-2003, 20:30: Message edited by: Mark in SC ]

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You probably know this but to be clear, the second photo you posted IS JJHACK with a cat he and a client shot in Washington last winter, and is the photo I was referring to above.

It is amazing how these photo's make the rounds and how the story changes! Within days of JJHACK shooting that critter I started recieving copies of the picture with stories that it was shot in BC and that it was a man-killer (had killed a school-kid), etc.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You know, that looks a bit like a cut-and-paste job. See how the head of the person holding the cougar is out of proportion to the body?

Georgre

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Looks like a woman to me. (The hunter, of course)
Those big legs are just lots of layers.

[ 10-25-2003, 01:50: Message edited by: tigertate ]

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I've always been intereted in mountain lion hunting since I saw their tracks back when I lived in Colorado and was elk hunting. It's just something about trecking through deep powder after a predator, you can't do that in Africa. I know it's nearly impossible, but if I had the time, and lived in the right area I'd love to spend a week tracking a lion.
My neighbor went to CO with his dogs and got one, that's the best way to get a lion for sure.

It might be one and a million, even using a call, but the suspense would be there and the scenery awesome.
---That is one big lion though, that WA one is a tub!

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
It is a woman. Her name is Sandi McKay. Go the the "Member Photo Album" page at http://www.middletnsci.org/member_photos.htm to see the original photo.

I don't think there has been any Photoshop hanky-panky; I think it's just one helluva mountain lion!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard Sandy's lion was on a murderous killing spree from behind the wheel of a '78 Ford Pinto attempting to kill everyone you know and love. I also heard that she was run down twice before getting a lucky shot off that exploded the car but miraculously didn't burn a hair on the cat despite the fact that it was aflame for almost 3 days because the firemen couldn�t put it out after their hoses froze in the �60c conditions. [Eek!] Any truth to this? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark in SC,

You beat me to the punch on that one.

Sandi McKay shot that mountain lion, and it is mounted in their trophy room (she and her husband are both worldwide hunters) here in Nashville, TN.

I believe it is around number 2 in certain trophy books.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote