New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Fence Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are you for or against High Fence Hunting?????

And would you hunt on them?

Posts: 46 | Location: Portland,In. | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Are you for or against High Fence Hunting?????

That is a pritty wide sweeping question! It depends on the cover, escape routes, how large the area is, and whether the animals have pleanty of places to water, and feed, in seclusion,if you hunt on foot, or at feeders, and finally if the animals are tame or wild! There is no single answer to your question! Sorry!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Squirrel!! LOLOL!!

Matt

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
You've no doubt heard falconry is "The Sport of kings"... high fence hunting is "The Sport of Queens"...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ha! Good one! Actually, in medieval England, "the sport of kings" was a term used for horse racing, but, I could not agree more. I think that ANY fenced hunting is best left to the likes of "Boy George" or that other weirdo, MJ......

Note: I realize that some hunting is done on very large ranches in the USA which may be partially fenced due to agricultural-pastoral operations. I specifically exempt fair chase hunting on such holdings, a 250,000 acre ranch is quite enough to assure plenty of room for the wiley Whitetail to elude even the best hunter; hell, many of them can do it in that many square feet!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I specifically exempt fair chase hunting on such holdings, a 250,000 acre ranch is quite enough to assure plenty of room for the wiley Whitetail to elude even the best hunter; hell, many of them can do it in that many square feet!

Based on the deer season that ended for me yesterday, I think 250 square inches is more like it.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
It's none of my business what a person does with their property and it's none of my business how someone spends their money. I'm not for it nor against it.

As someone on another forum posted to this same question; high fence animals should be voided and prohibited from the record books and I agree with that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
varmint101 . I'm not talking about any certain operation,this is just a general question.And for the record I'm against them completely.I just wanted other people's thoughts.

Posts: 46 | Location: Portland,In. | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I hunt here in B.C. and although this is the "Holy Grail" of big game hunting to many (this would be true if we had a government that would manage the game-hunting properly); we have plenty of those same Whitetails with "post-doc" smarts. This is why, I would prefer to hunt mature Whitetails and 6-pt. Elk over anything, they are so MUCH smarter and more challenging.

I have shot over 30 deer and have yet to get a real wall-hanger Whitetail....next year.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is a feed lot I am against it! Otherwise, I see no big deal. I have hunted fenced operations that were very good.

Hunt whitetail in Iowa, South Dakota, Kansas, etc, not difficult at all. Hunt pronghorn or mule deer in the plains, difficult ROFLMAO!! Helps if you can hit a pie pan at 300 yards though.

Hunt elk in the Rockies . . . can often see them from miles away! Were is the difficulty in that! Better yet hunt them on private cattle land were there are cattle feeders! Now that is EASY and legal!!

Scott

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well for one thing it should not be called hunting. It is only killing. I am 100% against them. Wildlife should not be privately owned, period.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes its peoples right to do what they want with their land. The question wasnt about that however, and must say I am against fenced hunting entirely. Ofcourse technically a lot of game people take ethically is fenced, but I think the true nature of a fenced hunt is put and take type operations, not where there is property fences or fences to keep game out of an important area. Or preselected game animals, and hunts where the animals could not escape if they wanted to are all unethical. If people want to shoot animals that way its their choice, but it doesnt make it right.

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see a need for some type of hunting like this. Due to my work, I am not able to hunt during many of the normal hunting seasons. I farm and no I don;t game farm. But I do see a lot of people who will hunt in a much smaller area than many of the "fenced" operations have open for people to hunt. I have never hunted on a fenced operation, but if the animals have learned to fear man, they can hide quite well in 320 acers or so and most people would not know if they hunt an area that large or not, several people I doubt do. But this type of operation would give people like me who can't hunt most of the regualr seasons a chance to hunt and a reasonable chance to get our meat. For me, I know where the deer are on my farm, when they move, feed, bed, ect. To shoot deer for me is not what many would call a "hunt" either. I try to make it more challanging by hunting with a handgun, and usally get a respectable deer when I want. Several times I know that the best thing for the deer here is to take a doe, and then I do that. So, I would say that if run properly, a fenced operation would be a useful and challanging "hunt"

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of tea...but to each his own!
I could be swayed if the area was large enough and the amimals were wild. Fair chase is definitely an issue with me. I think you can have fair chase hunting in a LARGE enough area. MacD37 summmed it up.
That is my wishy washy answer...
NOW.....If I were to have to vote on this issue. My answer is Yes, I am for high fence hunting,bear baiting,and any form of banned hunting that could lead to a infringment on our right to hunt down the road.... Those who would make us choose at the voting booth are against us ALL.
Squirrel Hunter...I know this is just a friendly topic.
Just clarifing things.. You have both my answers! Now I'm gonna hitch up my boat and drift down the river. Yes, I release my wild steelhead.

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'm ok with it, going again this weekend for Axis deer. Of course I don't have to pay myself, taking customers so the company picks up the tab.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems that you are looking for a fight or some controversy -quit it and grow up. Hunting behind a high fence can be as challenging and rewarding as you choose to make it. Much depends on the amount of area behind the fence, the amount of cover and the wildness of the animals - leave it at that. I've hunted the good, the bad and the ugly as far as fences go. What matters is the basic right to hunt, nothing else. Now go back to your animal rights board and leave us the hell alone.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah Yes Valerius Geist, the holy grail of wildlife management and hunting ethics.... one to whom we should all bow down our heads and acknowledge superiority as to what is best for each of us... Clearly you have done no hunting behind a fence so therefore you don't know enough about it to comment about it objectively. Oh yes, I know you have an opinion, but we all know what opinions are like.... you are part of the weakest link....Good Bye

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Well Washington Hunter, I guess the reason some people get defensive is assholes like you who decide it's not "real hunting" and gives "hunting" a bad name.

I can promise there are plenty of small 5-6,000 acre high fence ranches in Texas that will provide all the "real hunting" you can handle. That's not to mention the medium size spreads of 15,000-25,000 acres. If you want to get on some little bitty places and shoot over feeders they have that too, I call that shooting but that's all some people need or want so who are you or I to give them a lot of crap about it.

If you don't like it don't do it, but don't belittle the people who do. I'm sure we all have your own preferences that others would find just as objectionable.

Sorry for the diatribe but I just get sick of these people who think they are better than everyone else, know more than everyone else and think we should all live the way they think is best.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shooting a fenced game animal is no more than butchering a cow...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow some of you are getting kind of defensive don't you think? I notice especially those from Texas. Hmmm...wonder why that is? Game farm "hunting" is probably the most important issue concerning hunting and I don't see why a guy can't ask a simple question on here to find out whether people here agree with it or not. Sidewinder, voting against game farming (or high fence "hunts") is not voting against hunting, because it is NOT hunting. High fence "hunts" actually give real hunting a bad name with people who don't hunt and just assume that is how all hunting is. Have you ever heard anti-hunters say people who hunt do it simply because they are bloodthirsty and enjoy killing things? Well, high fence hunting only proves that they are right. Personally I don't care about exotics being killed inside a fence for money, like is so popular in Texas, but it makes all hunters look bad when non hunters see that kind of thing, and killing any of our native big game animals inside a fence should be illegal. Anybody who disagrees, you need to get some books by Dr. Valerius Geist, he knows what he's talking about.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with shooting domestic animals. That's what much of the high-fence industry does.

"Bloodlust" is a big emotional issue among the non-hunting crowd.

The "silver bullet" to that concern is the fact that a hunter EATS WHAT HE KILLS. If you eat it, it's not "just killing for killing's sake". Varmints, excepted, for obvious reasons.

So, if you want to, call it high fence "hunting", I don't care. It's not for me, but that doesn't matter, either. Just eat what you kill, or stay home. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, "What is best for each of us" is not the issue. What is best for WILDLIFE is what should be important, and I believe Valerius Geist knows a little more about it than anybody on this board. Why don't you read some of his books and then come back and tell us what it is you disagree with, and why? Tell you what, just keep all your high fence so called hunting in Texas, and I'll be happy. We don't want it or need it here.