New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exotic sheep eating?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hunt a place where there are quite a few exotic sheep. Mouflon/barbado crosses, often called Corsican. The rancher charges me $50 for an ewe or cull ram. I killed a young, small, ewe and it had little taste. I guess it was too young. Which would be better eating, a mature ewe or a 3-4 year old ram? thanks capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed a big ram last year, and it was excellent. I had a wild game BBQ at my house for a bunch of friends; most of them do not hunt or eat wild game. The two most popular meats were scimitar horned oryx and mouflon. They chose those over whitetail, fallow, and axis.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've got some weird friends. In my experience that axis should have been the best unless it was poorly processed and prepared.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axis and fallow are exceellent; I think they are the best tasting venison. The best tasting meat to me was the oryx. It has a great flavor that, in my opinion, is much better than venison.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I give an A+ to Dall's Sheep as well.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a good Catalina goat or what some folks call a spanish goat a few years back and it stunk to high heaven. I could not even stand the smell of it cooking in the house or the bar-b-que pit. I gave the rest to my brother and he gave it to some people to make tamales out of it.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Mufflon, Barbedoes, Axis, Fallow and Spanish goats when prepared properly..

Spanish goats should be eaten at weaning time while they are still on milk...big billies are not fit for human consumption...and that pretty much applies to most all goats and sheep.

Spanish goats should be bar-b-qued whole over a open mesquite fire (coals) OR boned out, cut into about 1" squares, dipped in cornmeal and deep fried, Serve with Frijoles, fried okra and hot buttered flour tortillas...a meal fit for a king...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't be reading this around lunch time. That sandwich I was going to have just won't cut it anymore

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
I don't care much for goat or wool sheep. But hair sheep like mouflon and corsican are good eaten.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote