New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Well, I got a Mt. Goat!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rich: Nice goat. That's a tough hunt. Don't know how many more years I could attempt something like that either.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a beautiful Mtn Goat! Looks and sounds like a classic Mtn Goat hunt and situation too.

Congrats!

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up using a Remington Mt. Rifle in ..30-06 with a 165 grain Hornady Spire Point loaded to 2,825 fps. We were in a Provincail park at the time ( Elk Lakes) on the Alberta line. Consequently we souldn't use horses (not allowed in the park). It was a 2 mile hike to the base of the mountain. Then a steep climb up a slde. App. 2,200 vertical feet to a saddle that went on over the mountain (Fox Mountain in case anyone knows it) where we had been watching a couple of billies for the last two days. I had sighted in 3 inches high just like I've done for over 30 years. The range finder said 186 yards. I failed to take into account the steep angle changing the actual effect of gravilty on the bullet and plain old shot over the goat which was lying down. I realize now that from that angle you would actually shoot at the bottom of the goat as you are looking up. At his belly..... Anyway the goat stood up to see what the hell all of the ruckus was and I got one in him although, again, a bit high. A finisher corrected my earlier mistakes and the goat plummeted to a slide about
30 yards below and slid another 300 yards down the slope. Didn't know whether we would find horns or nubbins but as you can see, he only lost about 1/2" and inch or so from either side.
I'm not sure which was the toughest..the climb up or the trip back down. Sure was glad to find the relatively level trail again.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Rich...Its a beautiful spot, ain't it? I lived in the Elk Valley for 15 years until last year...I miss it alot, especially this time of the year.

Congrats on a fine goat and a great hunt!

Who was your guide?

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
Yeah, I figured you'd know which mt. I was on too. It's the one you can see if you go out into the meadow in front of the parking lot and look North. I was with Rick Loughery and a young wrangler/camp jack named Nathan. Rick is recovering from an accident and just sort of helping out this year in Bob's absence. They had several outfitters even offer to loan them guides if needed. Folks had a lot of respect for Bob and the outfit.
Beautiful, I'll say! Saw several Grizzlies, one huge black bear, lot's of Moose and a few elk. It's a 6 point or better area. Caught some cut throat in the Lake (one went 17 inches)and Dolly Varden in the river. One day we rode into Wolverine. Saw lots of goats there but no billies. Later in the day took the old Elkford road and saw goats there too. 61 goats in all that day.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That whole area is about my favorite place on earth. Wolverine / Happy Valley / Quarrie hold a special place in my heart, as do Toby and the Elk Lakes.

I am sure Rick showed you a fine hunt. He is a very competent guide.

Bob's passing has left a big rift in the East Kootenays. He was closely tied in with a few other outfits and I know everyone will bend over backwards to pitch in and help Anna out if and when she ever needs it.

Thanks for your post by the way. As I mentioned, I am a little homesick for "the Valley" and your pics were a pick-me-up.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. He looks almost like a carbon copy of one I got in Colorado in 2001. Mine was 9 1/8 on the right horn and 8 7/8 on the left. Quite a beast to hunt aint they? One of my most treasured trophies.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmanssheil. Nice goat, lovely picture, a hunter who passed the test (at 59!). Good show.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Way to Go! It's beautiful.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote