New
Find
Notify
Tools

WY area 118
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking of applying for deer in the limited draw area 118 in WY. I talked to the biologist for that area. I was hoping to get some feed back from someone who has hunted this area a what they thought about it. Any info would be great.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough unit to hunt. It has a large WMA and access is ok, but mule deer numbers are down in the area. Hunted it in 2008 with a friend and it was tough. He ended up killing a 20" 3x4 - 3 year old buck. Locals say the deer numbers dropped off drastically 10+ years ago and they have never recovered. Of course there are some good bucks in every unit, so you may as well roll the dice. Best of luck.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MC, thanks for the info. I talked to the biologist for the area and he said a 4x4 in the 24-26 range was real possible. I hate to waste 3 points for a small buck and miss the WA deer hunt too. I'll have to rethink my choice and get in touch with him again.
How was the hunting pressure in this unit and how many days did you hunt it? Did you hunt also and did you see any bigger bucks in the area while hunting. I only have three points going into the draw and 4 points really won't get you into a much better area. I hate to have to wait 4 or 5 more years to draw one of these tags.
Thanks again
Robert

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Is this the unit north east of Jackson, the Gros Vonte (sp?) drainage?

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no