New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curious
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many folks on the board know any wheelchair hunters, just curious? If so any good success stories or humor stories? It is ok to laugh at the below, I hunt with wheelchair hunters on 90% of my hunts and work with them everyday.

Not hunting, but a friend and I were fishing for halibut out of Homer last August when Bruce hooked up to a 40lb fish and the fish tried everything it could to pull him over as he did not secure himself to the boat! I ended up pushing down his shoulders to keep him is his seat. He could not keep from Laughing as he was going up and down with the fish.

Thanks,

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know any.

They used to have handicap hunts on Piedmont NWR in central GA.

[ 04-29-2003, 14:57: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Don't know anyone, but being bound to a wheelchair is the only way to get a permit to hunt from an ATV in Sweden. Otherwise you are not even allowed to transport a gun on an ATV here.

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once met a guy at a range who hunted from his wheels. Mostly in South Africa at a farm. They'd drive him around so he could shoot from the car.

I remember an article in a German magazine about a guy who prepared a little trail from the parking lot to a specially adapted high seat. He constructed sort of a bridge from higher ground to the seat, so the diabled person could get in there.

But that's all my knowledge about wheelchair hunters.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The past president of our club lost a leg years ago in a loging accident. He uses two crutches.

He shoots trap from a folding camp chair, and hunts from an ATV.

He's a top notch fisherman.

Last year he got a moose!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
dwhunter,

There used to be an organization, I believe it was based out of Atlanta, that made hunting and fishing trip arrangements for wheelchair sportsman. I don't recall the name as it was a number of years ago.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is something I address with my work. Except I work with the Corps. of Engineers etc to make our lands accessible or at least educate them that you do not have to pave a forest for guys in wheelchairs to hunt. The first time we do a hunt with them they immediately want to setup the next hunt! Our partnerships with Duck's Unlimited, Budweiser, Quail Unlimited and many others are helping us acheive this all over the country. We are opening up Alaska this fall.

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a few on www.24-hourcampfire.com
There is a forum for dissabled hunters.Some hunt from 6 wheelers. Another had a crank up tree stand mounted to a 6 wheeler that he could operate by himself. My hats off too them all.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy o mine in Clover,VA is wheel chair bound but has come up with a pretty neat way to hunt, after getting it okayed by the Game&Fish people he bought an old Honda 4 wheel go-cart that has a roll gage,in the front he had a shop weld in a rifle rest and has two on the sides that pivot out of the way to get into it.He has taken several deer and a couple of bear now,the G&F people require him to be at a stand still and the machine turn off, we have even helped him built a portable blind that will wrap around the whole rig so he can try turkey hunting this fall

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would be amazed with some of the rigs I have seen. I know a few guys that use sip and puff triggers, the only way they can fire the gun is to use their mouth. That is truly a sight to see!I enjoy watching these folks shoot something much more than I would be shooting it myself!