New
Find
Notify
Tools

??? ELK RIFLE ???
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
I set a personal minimum of .270 Win. I know people who hunt em with less and people who insist on much more but personally, I wouldn't feel right with anything less than a .270 with 150 gr bullets of proper construction.

Remember caliber isn't near as important as bullet choice and shot placement.

O and for the record I now hunt em with a 7mm Rem Mag and 160 gr Partitions. I feel much better with the added energy.

[ 10-24-2002, 02:37: Message edited by: FarRight ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your advice. I am taking this young hunter this morning to one of our local gunshows. Hope to find the right piece. If we are fortunate enough to find the right rifle I will post the results of the find later on.
Again Thanks to all

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the quest for the elk rifle is over. I told him that if we did'nt find the right rifle today, that there would be other gun shows soon enough, and not to choose a "settle for rifle". I even offered to lend him one of my own rifles for deer season so that he would not get in a "have to have" mode. BUT!!! he got all excited about a certain stainless, composite stocked, 300WinMag. Savage. It has a beautifuly clean bore, clean crown, smooth bolt face, with a surprisingly crisp light trigger pull all for $325.00, oh and I almost forgot to mention that it is a model 116. Once again, thanks for all of your input.