THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Medium - long range big game / varmint style rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medium - long range big game / varmint style rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have had the hankering for a big long range rifle, something like a .338Lapua or .30-378WBY,

But after having gained confidence with a 6PPC out to 300m on small game like roe, I have decided that something a little smaller might be more beneficial to my shooting at the moment.
Still I'd like something that delivers a bit more punch than the old .308win.

A cartridge to use from out to say, 500m max, I'm not thinking of shooting much further than that!

I was considering one of the WSM tribe, looking at the .300WSM for the wide range of bullets avaliable. After camparing it to the .300WinMag I can't see what all the fuss is about, at least going by the tables.

I want a heavy barrel, bipod, thumbhole stock would be nice, high mag scope - a varmint type setup for shoting bigger stuff.

What would be a good choice?

[ 05-11-2003, 20:35: Message edited by: EXPRESS ]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Remington Sendero in 300 Ultra Mag for the same purpose. Leupold 4.5x14x50 scope. It's a shooter! It doesn't have the thumbhole stock you mentioned but it still feels good.

On the down side, ammo is expensive around here and not readily available (at least not with a variety of weights).

I reload for mine.

The factory trigger was lousy, but it is easily adjusted, either by instructions over the internet, or by gunsmith.

Factory ammo was achieving 3/4" three shot groups at 100 meters. First set of reloads got sub 1/2".

I enjoy it.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey junky, can you honestly describe the recoil of that gun? i have been very interested in that same gun. thanks! mark

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How would the 25/06 be for long range shooting I have heard some good reports about this caliber from time to time with people saying it is a real flat shooter.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I'm thinking 257Wby built on a 700,a Leica 1200LRF and a Leupold 3.5-10x 40mm with elevation turret...................

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was after something in .30cal for shooting heavier bullets but it seems to me that to get very flat trajectories, you need to moove up to the RUM's and WBY's.

The .300WSM appealed to me because it seemed to be a low recoiling, very pleasant round to shoot that delivered more than the .300WM, but I am not so sure of this anymore, having looked at a few ballistics charts.

Otherwise, the .300RUM would most likely be my choice.

Can anyone tell me what recoil is like in both the .300SWM & .300RUM?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
My favorite 30cal is still the 30-8mmRemmag. I like that it does good things,without requiring an overly long barrel to yield those results. The 30-378Wby I had,really didn't impress me in the manner I expected and I'd surmise part of that was due to it only having a 26" tube and it's "true" potential not being realized without extry barrel length.

No flies on the 300Wby,it is a very good cartridge IMHO and a guy could do much worse. I've had multiple rifles so chambered and couldn't cuss a one of them.

The 300Winny is another good one and it is surely softer recoiling than the 300Wby or the bigger 30's. The 300WSM is much softer shooting than the 30-378,300RUM,30-8mmRemmag or 300Wby.

My 300WSM weighs 9.08lbs and with 175MK's is suprisingly soft shooting,though I attribute that to it's heft and great stock design(McMillan M40A1)and Decelerator,as opposed to the mystique of it's case design. While I dig the case,it is bunk to think you are gonna get somethin'(performance),for free(zero recoil). The 300Whizzum isn't gonna out anything(as far as trajectories/energies),a likely constructed 300Winny,as they are birds essentially of a feather,with the belted Winny having more muscle if only slightly.

Typically the 300Winny offers latitude in mag box constraints,as opposed to the Whizzum and if high BC stuff and throating to accomodate it are desired,that is food for thought when thinking of a repeater. That will of course depends upon your action preference. My flavor is the 700 and one in 300Win mag affords a comfortable amount of leeway in that department.

You didn't mention what sorta critters were on the menu,but coming full circle,I prefer the 257Wby unless copious amounts of energy are mandated. In fact,I prefer the 257Wby to the 7STW(and everything else),due to it's penchant to shoot flat,hit hard and recoil little in a modest weight rifle. In fact,it is the King of that arena IMHO.

Of the RUM cartridges,I'm of the opinion that the .338" version is the cream of that crop and that too is based upon opinion concerning barrel length. I think to make the 300RUM truly shine,more than 26 inches of pipe is mandated.

Lots of routes to travel and I'll be curious to hear the path you opted. Forgive my ramblings....................

[ 05-12-2003, 03:07: Message edited by: Big Stick ]

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My son has the Rem 700 in .300 UltraMag, 26" stainless barrel, and gray laminated stock. I tuned the trigger and glass bedded the action for him.
I've been handloading all his ammo, some with 150s, but most with 180 gr Nosler Partitions. All loads are near or at book maximums. Accuracy has been good, 5 shots within an inch at 100 yds or better. Accuracy has carried well out to 300 yds, our maximum firing range distance.
Recoil is stout, but not unmanageable for me. Since my son is 6'3", 200 lb body builder, Denver PD Sergeant, etc., etc., he says no recoil problems.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine and i have been into this LR stuff for a few years now, but our research has been into custom single shot specialty pistols instead of rifles. That being said the latest bullet offerings from Hornady and Nosler should raise an eyebrow or two for anyone interested in LR big game shooting, especially the new .308" 200 gr Nosler Accubond bullet. This bullet with a published B.C. of .588 ought to be one of the best options available for this purpose, if the construction of the bullet functions as designed. Out of some big 30 it should be just super for those barrel stretching shots.

In my opinion going LR in the field means that you must become a tactical shooter. Meaning that you cannot guess range beyond point blank-- you must know it (laser rangefinder or rangefinding reticle), and you should have some LR impact reference in the scope besides just the main x-hair.

[ 05-12-2003, 09:17: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyw8t:
...can you honestly describe the recoil of that gun? ...

Hey hvyw8t and EXPRESS, I've seen about 10 of the M700 300RUMs at the Range and most were equipped with a factory muzzle break.

I never gave the recoil a thought until a guy(let's call him Bob) came to sight in his rifles last year. He had injured his shooting shoulder a couple of months before and was sighting in a 243Win M70 Featherweight with Handloaded 100gr bullets for his wife.

His buddy(we will call him Jim) was sighting in a factory-braked M700 300RUM. Jim also sighted in a 12ga for Bob to use later in the Season.

Then Jim picked up the 243Win Featherweight and shot a few with it. Jim looked at Bob and said, "This kicks more than my 300RUM!"

Bob was reluctant to try the 300RUM, but eventually did and was of the same opinion. Now, they both reloaded their own ammo, so I've no idea how much Jim had his 300RUM cranked up. Due to that, all this info is limited in it's usefullness in answering your question. If you load your own, get the factory brake if recoil is a big concern for you and it looks like you will do just fine, except for the dust storm when shooting from prone.

None of the folks I saw shoot their 300RUMs complained about recoil at all, but that doesn't mean anything either.

Your best bet is to spend some time at a Range and see if someone won't let you shoot their 300RUM a time or two.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyw8t:
hey junky, can you honestly describe the recoil of that gun? i have been very interested in that same gun. thanks! mark

Four or five shots off the bench isn't bad. For long ammo testing sessions I put the thing in a vise-type carriage. Another way to put it, the scope comes close to the eye on recoil but never does make contact with the eye.

Last week I shot a Marlin 45-70 cowboy model and it was very mild in terms of recoil compaired to my 300.

I'm 6" 210 and lift weights 4 days a week.
My 165 lbs brother-in-law shoots the same rifle rather well.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WITH an efferctive brake, recoil becomes a non-issue.
I have a McArthur brake on my Weatherby and I can punch 250gr loads out of my .340 at 2950 off the bench all day long without discomfort because it comes back like a "hot" .243 or light .270. In other words, not a problem. Same for my 8 pound .375H&H.

A good brake on a "barker" doesn't mean you are "less macho" just means you are lots smarter.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just cruising the Savage page, I see people either love them or hate them.

The new Model 10FP-LE2B comes with a McMillan Stock, which foe me is a big plus, as it really is difficult and expensive to get aftermarket parts like that here.

I am also curious about the AccuTrigger, I remember seeing something in a thread, those who had tried it loved it.

Are the barrels not comparable to; Winchester, Remington, Ruger, or even Sako?

If they have arrived here it could be a very nice rifle, .300RUM with a brake sounds good.
Thanks guys, I'm getting an idea of what would be in order for such a rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend just got a 700 winmag,he could not believe how the brake took all recoil away. His first rifle with a brake.

I can easily compare my 338 Lapua�s recoil to a light .243.Good brakes make wonders-and noise. I got a TRG-S for exactly the purpose you described.

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote