Find
Notify
Tools

Bald Eagle Cam
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of erict
posted
Off topic for the off season, but this is so darn interesting I figured it might get more views in this section.

The Decorah Eagle Cam is a 24/7 live streaming video WITH SOUND from a cam located about 2' above an active bald eagle nest. Color day, black and white from dusk to dawn. The nest is said to be about 80' high in a tree and is located in Decorah, Iowa.

Although it started off fairly quiet, things really picked up over this past weekend as the third of three eggs hatched. They hatched about 1 day apart. The eaglets are now starting to grow quickly and it's interesting to see how they are already developing a "pecking order". Mom and Dad alternate - one sits on the nest/feeds the young while the other goes out to hunt. The young are fed from the assortment of carcasses on the edge of the nest - so far I've seen a cottontail rabbit, grey squirrel and several fish. If you have kids who like the outdoors I'd say this is a must see thing, just don't blame me for getting addicted to watching (or just listening).

PS - here is a really neat highlight from earlier in the year: Eagle snowed in!

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Been watching them since the first PIP. Very cool.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
That is pretty cool!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
The Decorah eaglets appear to be doing well, much better than another bald eagle nest on Catalina Island, California.

Ever see a fox in an eagle's nest? There are endangered Catalina Fox on the island that apparently like a little poultry in their diet:

Fox grabs bald eaglet - all the action is 28:24 to 29:35

Don't get to see endangered species eatin' threatened species everyday.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote