New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Are You Hunting This Year?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunting season just opened for me. Not officially, but the prep time has definately started.

Two weeks ago it was 25 below zero here in North Dakota. The weather warmed up fast. Ten days ago I saw my first geese flying north. The deer are starting to break out of their winter herds. I went for a long walk and saw tracks across the muddy road. The last few days the sky has been filled with geese. I am sure the other night I saw a hundred thousand geese from the top of one hill. I met the local game warden on the road that passes my place and even he was excited at the sight. He said he came from the next county over and there were even more geese over there. I love this time of the year and this place. There isn't anything like living under this migration route.

I've started putting together my big game plans for the year. Last week I got off applications for Colorado Elk and Muley tags. The area my buddies and I hunt always has left over tags, so I always manage to get a both.

I'll put in for as many deer tags as North Dakota will allow. Last year I drew 3 doe tags. I'm putting in for moose, elk and big horn sheep tags. I'm checking out Montana and will try to pick up an antelope tag for Wyoming. It will be a full and exciting year. Next week, with the ice finally out, I plan to put my boat on a few lakes and the Missouri River for a crack at spawning walleye.

At the end of May, my hunting buddies and I are getting together for a bit of fishing at a lodge on the Missouri River in South Dakota.

I have a new 270 WSM to break in and tune up.

It's shaping up to be a good year in afield.

I'm blessed, and I know it!

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Put in for CO Black Bear
Hope to shoot some p-dogs in western KA
Spring Turkey, Fall Turkey, and Whitetail in the backyard and just the other day I got a tip on some ferral hogs about 20 miles down the road.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
It's not written in stone yet with limeted entry results not comming til july but it goes something like this.

Early bow hunt in the Skeena region for: Mulies, goats, moose, and black bear. These are not on draw. If I get my griz draw I'll be using my rifle. Also on this trip is giant coho and steelhead to be caught on the fly.

For the rut it's a trip to the south west Okanogan for big mulies.

If I'm lucky on draws it's a elk bowhunt on Vancouver Island and a bison hunt at pink mountain. The rest of my draws are fairly local.

I also have my spring black bear planned for the n.Casscades. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My schedule at this time is :
august-bighorns-alberta
sept-elk alberta
november-whitetail,mule-alberta
november-whitetails-saskatchewan
december-mule-whitetail combo at alberta military base

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Roger!
Man I wish I could witness that migration just once! After listening to the stories my Dad and older brother have told me about that, and when the Missouri starts "Break-up", just something I'd like to see for myself someday.
Have you done anything with that 270WSM yet?

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt yotes year round.
bear starts August first
grouse with my daughter starts Sept. first
deer late Oct.
elk right after deer season.
I always try to get one out of state hunt in a year but this year I'm staying home and taking more time for deer hunting with my daughter around home.

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a banner year for me..I own my own construction co., and have put my hunting interest on the "back burner" for a few years.
Iam fortunte enough to hunt muledeer, on 4000 acres, of private property, in the unit 55 area of New Mexico..near Raton
Maybe I'll sneak in a white tail hunt in Canada too...hehe...sakofan.....

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Holly and I will be hunting in Spain for the last half of September.

We have booked an Alaskan boat hunt out of Prince William Sound for Mountain Goat, deer and fishing in mid-October.

Then we will be hunting mule deer, and hopefully antelope, with Keith Atcheson in Montana during early November.

We'll fill in the time between trips with whitetail and wild hog hunts here in South Carolina where the deer season runs from August 15 - January 1, and wild hogs can be hunted year-round, with no limit on bucks or hogs.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

At the moment, I plan on doing some deer hunting SW of Williston with an OTC bow permit - and then heading south for a reservation cow elk hunt in AZ before coming back to PA for whitetails.

I hope it all materializes.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
So far:
TX hogs in April
NM prairie dogs in June/July

And, if the draw goes in my favor, it'll be:
NM antelope in Sep (yeah, right!)
NM fall bear, maybe (OTC, so who knows?)
NM mule deer in late Oct/early Nov
NM cow elk in early to mid Dec
NM javelina in Feb 2004
NM/AZ predators during all the off-time
Miscellaneous birds and small game through Feb 15, 2004 when quail season wraps up.

No money to do anything else, I'm a-savin' for next year's trip to Africa, where the list is much longer...

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
My schedule looks like this. September starts the season with an Alaska Caribou-Wolf hunt, November is Elk time in Colorado, then Whitetails in Kentucky. This after weekly shooting sessions tweaking loads and rifles. If I win the lottery, I will work in Aftica, otherwise I am saving it until next year instead of Alaska. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I live in the Republic of Kalifornia and while it is a pretty sorry place, we do have more hunting opportunities than you might think.

We have been working on the coyotes right along and as soon as it heats up a little, we will be hunting wild hogs big time. Right now there are feed and water everywhere, so the hogs are hard to find. When it gets a hundred degrees and the water is hard to find, we will be able to find them.

Also, our deer herds are increasing and we can buy two deer tags in this state. Never mind I have not shot a deer in CA in a number of years.

But, my big hunt this year will be in New Mexico.
My dad and I have booked a hunt very close to the Jicarria Indian Reservation and there are some great bulls down there. We will hunt the first hunt in early October. I am already dreaming about it.

We went there year before last and while we had a great time, the conditions were awfull. One of the guides broke his leg, another put out his back, and the weather was TOO nice. It was 60 or 70 degrees and a full moon. I shot a raghorn bull and felt lucky at that.

Actually, I am really happy with that raghorn. I walked more than an hour in the dark and crawled on my hands and knees for a long ways to sneak up on a herd of elk at daylight and shot that bull at maybe 50 yards.

New Mexico this fall! I can hardly wait.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk, Mule & Whitetail deer, Black bear, Mountain Lion, and hope to get pulled for a Rocky Mountain Sheep tag, all in Idaho.

Elk, later, in Wyoming.

Upland birds and ducks and geese, Idaho.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marsh Mule:
Hi Roger!
Man I wish I could witness that migration just once! After listening to the stories my Dad and older brother have told me about that, and when the Missouri starts "Break-up", just something I'd like to see for myself someday.
Have you done anything with that 270WSM yet?

Hi Marsh Mule:

I woke up at sunrise this morning to the sound of geese flying overhead. I live ten miles out of town on a farm so there isn't any civilized sound to hear, save the occasional car passing on the highway. The migration is something to see and hear. The Missouri doesn't break up the the way it used to. It's been damned and the ice just sort of melts. I live 23 miles from the river. It's one of my favorite fishing holes, both here in North Dakota and over the border in South Dakota.

I haven't done a thing with the 270 WSM. That's coming soon. I haven't order the stock I want. Too many things going on. Getting the boat ready for ice out and some spawning walleye. Packed the bearings and busted a part. Turned out I have an odd axel, so I have to build one from scratch. I bough the main part for $8.50. The boat dealer wanted $125.00 for a replacement. I have a welder and know how to use it, so I saved myslef a few bucks. I will order the new stock in a day or so and get on with the 270. I'll post what kins of accuracy I get when I get to shooting.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am fairly new here but thought I would share this year's plan:

Jan. - Auodad hunt in N.M., collected nice 24 inch ram
Feb. - Free ranging American Bison hunt, she's in freeze
Apr.18- Whitewater raft and bear hunting Idaho
May 28 - Namibia for Steenbuck, Duiker, and birds
June 8 - RSA for Nyala, Impala, Reed buck, Bushbuck, and more
Sept- Nov. Idaho big game, hoping for draw hunts
Dec. - North Carolina for whitetails

This has got to be the best year ever for my hunting!

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PA for whitetails, turkey, small game, and birds.
Maybe NY or WV for whitetails.
WY for mulies.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting AZ this year. I'll be putting in for elk, deer, dove, quail, and perhaps antelope.

If I'm real lucky, maybe a trip to Texas for deer.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting moose, caribou, black and brown browns(spring & fall) this year and if I have time, maybe a 5 day sheep hunt. I'm hoping to get a bison permit this year (yeah right!!!) and if I do, that's the only hunt that will really interest me because those permits are near impossible to get! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Down to western Va for turkey in couple of weeks, then Pa turkey season, spend the summer wacking whistle pigs. The fall brings 14 days stalking in England and the Scotish highlands. Then back to Va for black powder whitetail and more Pa whitetail.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkeys here next month, bears in Manitoba in May, off to Maryland in June for some ground hogs, hopefully in October, 1st season in Colorado for elk, then whitetails here in November and December.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring turkey here in NC, then I am going to start scouting for this falls Whitetail hunting, I am already putting out salt and corn, its legal here for deer. I guess in the next few months I will start to put up a few stands here and there. I am also working on a big boxstand to go over a huge cornfield where I hunt. Hope its a good year.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
I will probably hunt in the local area. I work there 5 days a weak and am constantly scouting for game. [Eek!] This year I might get lucky and draw an Elk permit for South Toutle.
Fuzz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tin Can season is open immediately. Just bought a fresh tin of Marksman pellets, got the ol' girl ready for some paper punchin'. I might get a few days for small game this summer. And maybe a few more for whitetail if I actually decide to go and get time off from real life. [Frown]

Hunting doesn't fit in right now, I'm afraid. [Frown]

On a big plus side - Al: The bears I've seen around southern Manitoba so far are just obnoxiously big. Hope one of them has your name on it!

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We drew mule deer tags for Montana, so there goes the end of October, good economy or bad. Pop is 80 and we will not be wasting any seasons when he feels like going. I will put in for resident mule deer early next month and Montana antelope in June.

Tom

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm putting in for Goat draws in Eastern BC. Elk draws for my home unit.

As soon as I get home from University this weekend I will be out hunting spring black bears.

This september will be Elk if I get the draw. If I don't get the draw I will just go to the open area in the next unit over.

Whitetails and Muledeer all season long. Benefits of being a forester.

Possibly get a sheep tag while I am out looking for Goats provided I get my draw.

Can't wait.

Mark

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I�m 48 and was planning my first hunt in other than WI or MI, a Caribou/bear hunt. However a 60 parcel that borders private and hard to access public land, that I have coveted for years became available last month so all my plans are off. I will have some logging done, put in 3 acres of food plots, build some stands, and �GOD WILLING� I will have to be satified with deer, bear, birds and such in WI and Mi for a few years! The seasons you guys have talked about on this thread are what dreams are made of, good luck on all of them! MAYBE SOMEDAY!

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As posted above I had a good hunt in western VA last week, taking a 20 lb 9+ inch bearded gobbler. Pa season starts this Sat. and it is to pour all day, but have 4 weeks. [Smile]

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will Be hunting Blacktails in Oregon in Oct. Then off to Montana For Deer and Elk at the end of Oct. into early Nov then home to Oregon again for Elk in Mid Nov. Birds when Time permits between Deer and Elk and Fall Salmon Fishing [Smile]

Posts: 37 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote