New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back up Handgun?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering buying a backup handgun in case I have to finish off a deer. I haven't had to do this in years, but...
I don't like to use a rifle at close range. I was thinking of a S&W in 357 Mag. It's light (Titanium) or a Taurus in 45 ACP. The Taurus is heavier and larger framed. Which would be a better "finisher"?

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bob;

i would go with the s.w. .357 in a 6' barrel stainless w/ hogue grips. 180 gr. partition gold load.

i once finished a deer off with a sig sauer p230 .380 with dramatic effect. after several poor hits from a .30-.06.

for those that say .357 is not heavy enough for hunting purposes. i say i would rather hit with a +P load from a .357 than , miss with a lt. load .454 casull/.50 s.w..

pistol shooting requires a lot of practice/skill. just because a guy has a heavy magnum, doesn't mean he can shoot it worth a dam. i won a lot of lunches on that one. m.h.o.

cold zero [Wink]

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I carry a 1911 Gov't Model 45 as my backup pistol when hunting, just because I'm partial to the 45. However, the 357 with the right loads is used for deer hunting as a primary weapon so it's obviously adequate as a backup. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with and practice.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot, for finishing off a deer a 22LR behind the ear will work just fine.

If you don't want to buy something specific to the task then as long as you have some sort of pistol it can be argued as appropriate given the right circumstances. If not, I certainly don't see the cost/benefit merely for finishing off a deer.

I'm thinking of having a carry handgun for an elk hunt next year and as I hope to not need it but want to have some firepower nonetheless, I'm leaning STRONGLY toward a S&W 329. It's super lightweight yet fires a 44 Mag load. It can also fire 44 Special for a bit lighter performance but to me the key point is this:

It is a tool that will not be needed for 99.9+% of the time so I want it to be as light weight as possible.

Just some thoughts...

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Make the first shot count no matter what weapon you choose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice for a finisher, should the need arise is a three inch S&W M60, cal. .38 Spl. Load is a 160 gr. SWC cast bullet with 5.0 gr. Unique. Optional is a 200 gr. RN over 3.5 gr. Unique. Either load is accurate enough to use for small game and more than powerful enough to finish off a deer, elk or probably moose with a shot behind the ear. Of course, if there are animals in the area that might want to dispute your ownership of your game animal, then something larger would be in order, preferably in .44 mag. of bigger. JMHO.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I use a Taurus Titanium in .41 mag but am also in griz country. The Titanium is super as you can carry it all day and not even know it. The downside is that it does have more of a "bark" to it than steel.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd second Paul B's recommendation of a 38 Special load in the 357. No flies on the 45 ACP at all.

I myself have been carrying a Colt Peacemaker in 45 Long Colt, with a 7 inch barrel, and a 250 grain cast bullet. The load is about 750 fps MV.

Just like the old traditional stuff. [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Actualy, I would base my purchase on other criteria that is meaningfull to you rest assured that either (or any of the above mentioned for that matter) would do fine as a close range finisher.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
It seems silly to me..

If the deer is still alive and you want to put it out, just put a bullet through it's neck with your rifle.

I'm not sure why you don't want to use a rifle at close range??? It'll do the trick just fine.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob257:
I'm considering buying a backup handgun in case I have to finish off a deer. I haven't had to do this in years, but...
I don't like to use a rifle at close range. I was thinking of a S&W in 357 Mag. It's light (Titanium) or a Taurus in 45 ACP. The Taurus is heavier and larger framed. Which would be a better "finisher"?

Bob257

I like the single-shot break-open Stevens .22 RF pistols, out of production for some decades. It weighs about the same as a skinning knife, and is suitable for taking camp meat as well.

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd think that the 22 LR would work just fine in the ear with a solid. Never tried it though. I did get a Walther P22 this last year for finishing off Yotes--during pelt season.

For the idea of carrying a pistol during elk season that is about the last thing I'd think about taking on an elk hunt (unless I am bow hunting). Elk hunting is just too darn demanding to even think about carrying a couple of extra pounds in a side arm.

The 22 pistol would also work just fine with birdshot for "camp meat". Although I've found over the years that it is quite easy to bring the meat from home or Costco. This allows me to concentrate on hunting and not make any unncessary noise in the mean time. I've for the most part found that people wanting to get some camp meat are just bored and needing something to do. I prefer as quiet of a camp as possible.

Just my thoughts.....

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Just curious what makes you feel uncomfy about putting in a finisher at close range anyway?

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best "finisher" and the #1 stopping round for defense work is the 40 S&W. At close range there is no comparison between a 45 ACP, 357 Mag and a 155 gr Gold Dot from a 40 when you are looking at compact carry guns. Sure a 45 will knock a man down and stop a fight, but if you want to DISPATCH something, the 40 is your round. Taurus has several compact 40s in the Millineum line that will be perfect.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Mark. Years ago I carried a 4" 357 elk hunting in a shoulder rig. After a day packing it around in the Bearthooth I had enough.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If you are not going to use the pistol for back-up if grounded by a Brown bear, and if it will be limited to finishing a deer, then the only thing needed is a .22 lr with solid nose bullets either through the forehead, or behind the ear to the brain! If, however the brownie IS involved, then you better do your best with the rifle, and hope to hell you don't have to use the pistol, no matter the caliber! The self defense pistols designed to shoot humans are not well suited to the shooting of large animals! [Cool]

[ 11-01-2003, 19:44: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF YOU are going to the trouble to carry a handgun when you have a rifle in your hands, you have to ask what are you trying to accomplish.
Finishing off a game animal has not been a problem BUT what may be trying to finish off you as you pack out or drag?

Some places bears may be a problem, others not. When moose hunting and going back after meat I would have loved to have a heavy revolver instead of juggling a rifle but couldn't(thanks Canada) if that isn't a problem and you are looking at plinking small game if the opportunity arises, then adjust accordingly.

I don't hunt without carrying a sidearm capable of taking whatever I am hunting if I am going to that trouble of carrying a handgun. Then I put it on the "wrong shoulder side" so that if a deer presents in a situation that makes the rifle almost impossible to swing on, I can use the handgun for the shot.
Otherwise I don't carry a handgun.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
I don't believe the .22 rimfire would meet the minimum requirements to take deer in Pennsylvania. Personaly I see nothing unethical about using it as a "finisher" but can see how you could run into trouble using it as such.

As for the extra weight. Maybe a factor on Elk hunts but when hunting deer in the east it would not be much of a henderance. Most just walk to there favorite spot, sit down, and wait.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Heavy Varmint!
22 rim fire doesn't meet minimum requirements in some states!

Here in NY using a 22 rim fire to finish off a deer (even though it will do the job nicely) can land a hunter in jail real quick!
Here, it is the law, it has to be a center fire!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote