THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunting Mountain Lion in South Texas??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Mountain Lion in South Texas??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I was wondering if techniques similar to those used to hunt leopard might be applicable to hunting Mountain Lion in South Texas. That is, putting out bait and hunting at night.

Mountain Lion are considered "non-game" animals in Texas and may be hunted any time.

Thoughts?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Usually they are targets of opportunity or taken with dogs. You could also try a predator call as I have heard they will sometimes produce.

I do not know what the population density is compared to leopard, but I imagine you might sit a long time at a bait. I have not tried it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah you should pack a lunch and take some fly and buzzard repellant.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are known to be in the area ... but taking a while sounds just like leopard hunting Wink

May try it just for fun ... but will take the insect repellants for sure.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do respond to calling here. Baiting would work if they were around but their density is very low. We have a dump we put hundreds of carcasses in during hunting season and we have never found lion tracks.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have thought about doing that, but the advice I received is the same as Perry's experience.

They do not come to bait.

If you can find a Mt. Lion kill (it will be burried under brush.)

Try to find a place to sit and wait for the cat to return.

Kind of tricky as they are smart.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there was a guy named Ruben Laserman down there that was running them with dogs with farely good success. I have never heard of the baiting on lion working either.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote