THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Manitoba Bear - Looking for an outfitter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manitoba Bear - Looking for an outfitter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

I am seriously looking at hunting Black Bear in Manitoba next fall. I am looking for any recommendations about an outfitter / guide.

Also, what questions, concerns should have as I check out various operations? What should I look out for?

Thanks in advace,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
I plan on booking with Trapper Mike for next spring. He comes highly recommended from a taxidermist friend of mine and I had a chance to talk with them at the local SCI dinner. He has a new hunting area and the first bear they took off it was 23 years old! I'll check for the URL at home and post it.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have an excellent outfitter also. I'll be hunting bear with them on May 11th. I've sent them a few clients and they have all been very happy. They take a fair number of color bears every year too.

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bird River Outfitters. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,

I currently have 2 outfitters in mind.

Ann, I believe you have posted about this outfitter in the past,
Davis Point Lodge.

Dan, I found the site for Bird River. Very impressive list of articles about the operation. Where is there operation located? How far from Winnipeg?

One of the thoughts that I had, was to combine a fall bear hunt with a ruffled grouse hunt. As bear is hunted mainly in the afternoon, I could hunt grouse in the morning. Both outfitters seem able to accomondate this.

I am not familiar with that part of Canada, especially in the fall. Is it worth even thinking of bringing along a fly rod?

Pete

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete,

You can email me for more info.

aspenhill@triton.net

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
QW, they are about a one and one half hour drive north east of Winnipeg, towards the Ontario border, close to the White Shell region. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the fishing is great. goldeye, pickeral, pike, yum. - Dan

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I just spent a day with Ron Alexander (Bird River Outfitters) at his lodge last week. Neat guy, awesome lodge. Looks like he gets his clients some real whoppers (or jumbo's as he puts it). He certainly knows his stuff.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quail Wing:
Hi,<br /><br />I am seriously looking at hunting Black Bear in Manitoba next fall. I am looking for any recommendations about an outfitter / guide. <br /><br />Also, what questions, concerns should have as I check out various operations? What should I look out for?<br /><br />Thanks in advace,<br /><br />Pete

Check with David Doan at Pioneer Outfitters. He's most likely fully booked but contact David and see as he might possibly have a cancellation hunt. Good luck.

http://www.pioneeroutfitters.com

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the referance Dungbeetle. The web site is accually, http://www.pioneeroutfitters.ca Thanks again.

Posts: 98 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 11 September 2003Reply With Quote