New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off topic question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had no idea where to put this so I put it here for the greatest exposure. I was wondering what opionions would be to this question: I have several old guns that I know I will never shoot or hunt with. They are probably of no great value but they belonged to passed family members. Would you hold on to them and let them collect dust or pass them on to someone that would use them and use the money to buy guns that you would use and enjoy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep the guns you will regret it someday if you sell them. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, out with old and in with the new.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If they were handed down from passed family members take a look around your family for the next generation to pass them along to. There might be a nephew, niece or grandchild who's a budding gun nut in the family who you could give a start to.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Do not sell. You will be so sad. At least if you're going to make a move with them do what Fjold suggested.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hang on to them. Pass them down to another family member. It may come to be the only connection they have to a particular ancestor.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have lamented the selling of several of my firearms & they had nosentimental value. Just hang onto them.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I had a Mauser 8mm that was my Dad's. I never used it so I sold it. You know something, the money is long gone, and I'm sick now that I sold it.

Hang on to them a bit longer and think long and hard,
"Do I really want to sell these?"

Then do what you feel - - - - nobody can tell you what to do with your families guns!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several that belonged to my dad and granddad. Never is along time but I can't imagine ever parting with those guns other then giving them to my kids. But maybe I'm just too sentimental!

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT SELL THEM. You will regret it latter
Clean them up,find some pictures of those
family members frame them together with some hunting memorbila and start a family heirloom

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never sell good guns if you can help it!!!
Once sold a pre-64 mod 70 .257 Roberts to pay for daughters (hunting partner) wedding. He was some city boy-"metrosexual" that ran off from the commitment.
I can only blame myself......F%&K!!!

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
three brother now have sold all the guns thier father and uncles had gave them. THey all regert it And me most of all as now my safe has
almost 20 guns I would trade most of them for the three back. Though I like all the new ones better.

But they are just guns sometimes not a memory.

good luck with your dission.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
It's like this. I have two guns in my collection that were given to me by an older friend who has sons of his own. He said that every gun he'd given them they sold so it pissed him off enough that he gave them to me (MUCH greatful) instead of his own family.

So in that sense maybe the one who passed it down to you might be greatful if you passed them on too.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLK320:
They are probably of no great value

You've answered your own question. If they are of no great (monetary) value, then little is to be gained by selling, and much in terms of sentimental value and financial appreciation is to be gained by holding. Besides, you'd be surprised how a gun that is currently "out of fashion" may in just a few years become "all the rage".

My wife had an uncle who carried a SAA Colt 32-20 around for years, but finally decided that it was obsolete and better guns were available for his purposes, so he sold it for a little bit of nothing. See what I mean?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I have sold guns when times were bad and later, I would of rather gone hungry and still had my firearms. If you have someone who will cherish and respect your guns, give them away, if not, hang on to them!!!
Around here, men do not loan out guns and women do not loan out jewelry!
Jeff in Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote