New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 VOR-TX 55 TSX-FB for deer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to see if anyone has experience using the ammo in the thread title on deer?
My son (10 years old) shoots his 223 incredibly well and has great confidence in his gun.
If we keep his shots less than 150 yards and stick to broadside shots, how do you believe this will work for deer?
Any previous experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have no fears at all. I dislocated my shoulder last fall and HAD to use my .223 (Drs. orders in order for me to be allowed to hunt) with the exact bullet you mentioned. It worked. My hunting buddy also used it in his AR and killed his buck with one shot.

Posts: 225 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried that bullet.
I did shoot an antelope in the ribs @ 100yds
with a 55gr Rem C/L. Ran maybe 35-50 feet, staggered, backed up and fell over dead.

Bullet glanced off a rib hard, near lung, back thru the liver and exited the far side short ribs.
Near as I could measure it, was 13" inside travel. Buck was maybe 90lbs broadside,
hit him perfectly up tight behind the shoulder. They're not very big.

Hit 'em right and it'll be good to butcher right quick I'd bet. Make sure he knows where to hit 'em is the main thing.
Hair is harder to hit right than paper for some reason. Especially the first couple times.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
For years I loaded TSX 50 grain Barnes for my friends young son in .223, he used them on deer, Hogs and Turkeys and must have killed 10-12 deer with them. All I ever heard was great reviews on those bullets, mostly all one shot kills and drop on the spot.
They were amazed that such a pipsqueak of a round would kill deer like that and they never found a bullet all exit wounds.
You will be happy with the results.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
With proper shot placement it works well.
I've killed several WTs with that combo with good results.
You will have some run offs with small cal mono metal bullets that require tracking.

If you don't mind a small project build a 6x45 for your son.
I built one for my son when he was 6 and he has killed 7 deer with it so far, all one shot kills with 85 Gr Sierra Game Kings.
No more noticeable recoil than a .223 and a bump up in killing power. Most WTs my son shot were DRT. All dropped within sight and required no tracking.

Good luck to your son on his upcoming hunt

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 14 yr old used that combo for yrs with great results on deer and hogs, killed several dozen. With the thicker critters the bullets sometimes do not exit, if they are quartering. the animals usually only run 30 yards or so. Recoil is non-existent at 3,200-3,300 fps. The bullet usually expands to about .42-.45 caliber and penetrates about 17".

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet is a good one. Even though it's only 55 grains, it's a fairly long bullet. My 1-12 twist 22-250 doesn't stabilize it well.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed quite a few deer with that bullet- probably a dozen. Have him pick his shots and he'll be fine.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All my kids, grand kids and great grandkid used a 222 and 223 on Deer, Ive use both and also the 6x45...with the 222 and 223 I decided long ago the 60 gr. Hornady HP or SP are accurate and perform to perfection of deer and antelope up to 200 yards give or take 25 yards, with heart/lung shots. My grandson, a working cowboy, and subsistence hunter, been shooting the 6x45 with GS Customs 80 gr. HPs, for deer and elk (head shots on all but one elk) for the last 20 years, but he is amongst them every day, he sees no reason for more gun. He knows the gun and his limitations and takes the easy shots only, as he has no reason not to. He has never lost one.

The downside is you must have good tracking skills on rare occasions and the light calibers are better in open country where you can watch them run, not wet bottom land as blood trails are thin..but 99% of the animals Ive seen shot with 22 and 6mms dropped at the shot, unless you try to stretch the range, that's a recipe for failure. Use care and common since and you will never have a problem.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their input.
My son found the buck of his liking and the bullet performed perfect. The four point whitetail mule kicked at the shot and dove into a brushy draw. We sat there for 30 minutes talking the morning away and then went and found him.
Just about perfect.
Thank you guys again.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Tell us more!
How about a picture of the young man with his Buck?
Did you get an exit wound (I'm sure you did).
Where did he hit it what did it damage and where did it exit.?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote