Find
Notify
Tools

Moose Medicine Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Got drawn for one of the wild life refuges in Alaska.

Assume 375 H&H 300 grain Swift A-Frame is okay. The shots are all shot under 200 yards.

Should I use a softer bullet than an A-frame?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
That is fine...lot's of moose killed with 270s

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I would, I have had Barnes TSX & Nosler NP go right thru moose and had to track them

Look at the 300 gr Norma Onyx at Graf & Sons

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
As I'm not a knowledgable or experienced guy as far as ballistics/bullet performance, I can't answer anything you asked, but FWIW the one moose I killed I shot was with a factory 175 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw out of my 7 RM.

The first shot, a frontal @ ~160 yards, hit where his neck met his chest, and was never recovered, which still blows my mind. It went through perhaps 6-7 feet of moose, and continued on through, breaking his back leg high up before exiting. Anyway, congrats on the tag and please post a report with pics upon your return!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have some 260 grain accubonds and some soft point 300 grains that will expand more than an aframe.

I have a 300 RUM and a 7 MAG, but those are harder to handle - long barrels. My 375 has a 23" barrel.

I thought about taking my 308 winchester, but wanted a little more stopping power.

Ideally, though I don't have one, I think a 338/06, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62 mauser would be ideal, big thick bullets, but lower velocity than the magnums.

That's one reason I like the 375, nice and slow.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I've been using the H&H with TSX's for a few years and have been very happy. Accuracy has been good, penetration and expansion as advertized. True, the TSX frequently goes all the way thru but I have found several under the skin on the off side.

I have been using the 300g bullets just because thats what I've had loaded for other hunts. I'd certainly feel comfortable using lighter bullets like the 260's but just haven't.

I have never had the pleasure of tracking shot moose. Generally it has been my experience that once mortally wounded the moose may well stay on their feet but don't bolt for the far ridge like an elk.

I have taken moose with a 7x57, 30-06, 300 weatherby, 9.3x62, and the H&H. I thought the 7x57 worked fine but won't be using it again. I prefer either the H&H or 9.3 because of the extra punch and remote but possible short range encounter with a bear. I would not recommend a 308.

Posts: 9479 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'll stick with my 300 grainers then - maybe go to the softer point. The 260 add a considerable report to the rifle, you need hearing protection. For some reason, the 300 grain bullets (most likely velocity) are much quieter and don't ring your bell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my bull in 2008 with a 30 06 and 220 grain Core Lokts. Shot 1 lunged him and Shot 2 spined him. Dead moose.

This year my dad will be using a 375 H&H and 300 grain Swifts FWIW. I am expecting a similar result.

Good hunting.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter,

The 375 H&H and the 300 SAF might be perfect for moose at moderate ranges. I shot several bulls with that combination during my time in Alaska. I would not go for a lighter or less heavily constructed bullet because your shot may come with a quartering away presentation through the paunch and you'll need that added penetration to get to the vitals. If you have to go lighter for a slightly flatter trajectory the 270 TSX would be a great choice.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bunch of moose over last twenty years with a 7mm mag 160 nosler partitions. Never had one go all the way through, always find the bullet on backside right against the hide. Somebody mentioned they had their go through, not my experience. Moose go down real easy. I had native neighbor shoot practically every moose they saw around their place with an old 243, always went down, as long as you don't shoot them in the butt.

I'd go with something lighter actually.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with something lighter actually.[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I've read & heard, the .30-06 with well constructed 180g bullets is all you ever need for moose.

In the end, use what you like. It's all good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It should do just fine, 300 gr bullet out of a 375 H+H, now if you are staying awake at night with this Swift A Frame business, you can just load 300gr RN Hornadys or a Nosler Partition or Woodleigh. I can't imagine any bullet out of a 375 not working well in that 300 gr weight. I shot all of my alaska moose, with a 338 Winnie and 250 gr Nosler Partitions except for two those I shot with 210 gr bullets. They are not hard to put down, a friend shoots his ever year with a 7mm-08 and 140 gr Nosler Partitions. He gets a lot of moose per box of cartridges.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have the 300 grain soft points from Federal. Not sure who makes the bullet, but they are also an option. They are rated for moose/elk type game.

Just to add an unrelated thought, 260 grain accubonds do a helluva job on hogs, especially when you shoot them in the head.