New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Finally I' ve got my elk.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Congratulations Mario. Three Forks runs a first class operation. Glad to hear you had a good hunt.

A 6x6 can be anything from a 240 to over 300 class bull. Based on the bulls I have seen on that ranch and Mario's description of "not very big" I would put him in the 270 range. Three Forks has a lot of elk, great antelope and good deer hunting available. Unfortunately it is not a super trophy area. While 5 point and 6 point bulls are plentiful, huge bulls are not normally found.

A 6x6 bull will make a great mount and is a great sample of the species. The trophy as always really lies in the hunt.

For those who have the fever, my friend still has hunts available on the other side of the state from Three Forks. Bigger bulls are the norm. Contact him (Darrel) at 970-209-0900 if interested in a fully guided and outfitted hunt. The bulls are really bugling now and it is getting exciting.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Guys,
I'm absolutely sure: the Elk is one of the greatest trophies of North America. I'm really very satisfied of my hunt. In the next days I will send the pictures.

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mario, Congratulations indeed.

How about giving us a few more "details" about the hunt? Rifle? Bullet? Weather? Called in? Fell over him and broke his neck???

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
congratulations Mario! A 6x6 is nothing to snort at. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the USA in all areas.

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

dear Friends, Maybe I was too hurry.

Is that like "maybe I killed him too dead?"

I think you did the right thing...A 6x6 in the bag beats
the would'a,could'a,should'a bull still running around.

Congratulations...enjoy those steaks.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dear Friends,
after many years of dreams and one unsuccesful trip in Montana, last week finally I have killed my elk. The Three Forks Ranch is a great hunting place - I saw literally hundreds of elks - also big mulies, antilopes, bears and grouses. The guide Paul Brown excellent. The accomodation and food five star.
The elk I took is a 6x6 but not very big. Maybe I was too hurry.

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job, Mario. Any 6x6 is a good elk.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
When I'm huntin' elk Mario as long as it has enough points to be legal in the area I am hunting it's big enough for me. Congrats.Papershredder

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any legal elk is a nice elk. A 6x6 is all gravy. Awesome job!!

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you. Glad to hear you got an elk, and a dandy by the sound of it. A 6x6 is nothing to complain about. I just hope I can find a legal elk this year in Montana for myself.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mario,

Can't say as I have ever seen a "small" 6X6 elk. They have all been a heck of a lot bigger than me anyway. I assume he scored at least 300, did you measure him?

Congratulations.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
In the state I live in ( Washington ), you can only shoot Spikes, unless you are drawn for a Big Bull tag. We are always happy when we shoot Spikes! Congratulations on your 6x6. Every Elk is a great trophy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Mario, there is nothing like the smell of Elk in the morning. I hunt South of Craig and have since 1992, failed to get my Bull only one hot, dry year. Good shooting.

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mario,
Congratulations! A wise, old elk hunter once told me that when it comes to the wiley wapiti," Every elk is a trophy."