Tools

Mmm!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Pot luck tonight. Bring a dish to pass!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Ozark's version of menudo? Smiler

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dibs on the eyeball.
the one staring out at me.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I am assuming that is a buck you took this year, if so mighty nice

Lamar,

You have issues Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great buck! Ann, does the induction cooker work well?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Better throw in a couple of onions and carrots. barf

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Great buck! Ann, does the induction cooker work well?

Yes, Larry, it works great but you must have pots or pans that will work with it. Not all do.

The nice thing about that one is you can be very specific about setting a temperature as it is digital. I can run items like a canner or a pressure cooker outside if I want since it is portable. I have two of these. One I use for my mushroom log production to melt the wax for sealing the sawdust plugs. They are very light weight.

It has all kinds of settings. One feature is the timer. It will turn off on its own if you want it to.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Better throw in a couple of onions and carrots. barf

LOL, my dogs would not like the onions. I will be giving them the 'spoils'.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Looks like it will turn out pretty good.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey I have seen what boils up on top of these kind of things, figured I better get first dibs in before I ended up with the jello part...again.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try spreading that jello part on Ritz...yummy!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you making souse meat or just cleaning off the skull?

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANn:

Fine looking rack!
Congrats again!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Are you making souse meat or just cleaning off the skull?

Cleaning the skull for sure! I give my dogs and chickens all the parts of the deer I don't eat. Nothing gets wasted here.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries. I did not would not think less of you or that you were being wasteful if you just discarded the head.

My biology mother’s family raised a pork every year in a very poor, rural part of KY. I loved going up there for the hog killing, and making souse’s meat.

I really like souse’s meat done right. Best part of the meal I had in Paris. That was back in 2015, been years since I had any worth eating until then. I do not have the fortitude or skill to try it.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like awesome knowledge to have! Even though there was no rotting to the buck's head, I don't like the smell of the simmering 'soup' when I clean a fresh skull. I can't explain it but it is just not pleasant. Not like stewing an unwanted cockerel or a couple of stewed squirrels in a crock pot.

I'll take the chicken or squills any day over a deer head in water. My hens cleaned up the spoils so far.

One more session of simmering and this skull will be done.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Skull soup, my favorite.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All cleaned up now. The cabinet door is 21 inches wide. I think this is a three year-old buck.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
How did you get the skull so white? I have a few skull mounts from Africa that I'd like to whiten up. Nice buck.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of two methods. Spray paint. Or wrap the skull in an old towel or rags and pour hydrogen peroxide on it then put it in a plastic bag to keep it from drying out. Check it and add more peroxide after 12 hours. It usually takes 24 hours, but it will be as white as bone can get when done. Drug store peroxide at full strength is what I have always used.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, that's actually the natural color. I simmered, not boiled, the skull. I did three water changes and on the third simmer I added a dishwasher 'pod' to the water. I think it came out nice. It's really not as white as it looks.

I just finished with a light vinegar scrub on the antler bases to get that hard water stain off. So far it looks good and I didn't lose any of the natural color there. This buck spent a lot of time rubbing juniper (red cedar) and his antlers show it with their reddish tint.

Jeremy is correct, spray paint will whiten the skull nicely, be sure to cover the antlers well. I always use a matte white paint if I paint a skull. It gives the most natural finish. Best to spray lightly and do a few layers rather than over do the paint on one session.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like some flat spray paint will be the easiest.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
True story time:

Once, a great many years ago, I was boiling out a skull on my kitchen stove. I had a 40mm ammo can sitting across 2 burners of the stove, boiling away.

Anyway, in walks my buddy (somewhat hunter), and his wife (rabidly NOT hunter, squeemish city type). No sooner did they hit the front door, and his wife hollers out, "Something sure smells good, what's for dinner?"

Without batting an eye, I turn around and pick the head up out of the can by an antler and say, "Deer Head Soup. You want some?"

She took one look at that head, with all the dangly parts hanging off of it, turned 3 shades of green and bolted for the door.

To this day, I'm sure she thinks I planned the whole thing in advance. Hell, I didn't even know they were coming over that day.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote